Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH is a lazy obsessive compulsive!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

He drives me nuts! He expects the house to be perfect at all times, but won't even pick up after himself. He leaves his clothes everywhere, his dishes everywhere, etc. but then if I have a bad day and don't get everything done, he freaks out about the house being a mess. I love him very much, but it drives me nuts when he does this. How do I get him to quit being obsessive over the house? I don't go to his job and nit pick everything he does, so he needs to back off of me. My house is not disgusting by any means, I'm talking about the clothes still being in the dryer the next morning, or a few toys on the living room floor cuz the kids have been playing all day in there, or *gasp* a pillow fell off the bed. grrrr!!! He's stressing me out for no reason. I feel like I can't relax in my own home because I'm always worried about something not being "right" 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Replies (21-26):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My ex was controlling, my dh is definitely not controlling. Depends on how you look at it. But I was in a very unhealthy controlling relationship a few years ago, dh is nothing like that!

Quoting princessputter:

he doesnt sound obsessive complusive to me.. hes sounds CONTROLING.... theres a huge difference

mom2four1978
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mom2four1978:

Does he by chance have ADD or ADHD?

This is exactly what I was going to ask too. Many times people have OCD and add together and it turns into one "lazy frustrated and stressed" monster!

Thats why I asked. My DH has this problem. But we had a talk about it and came up with some things that help.

~ LIZZY~

CotterpinDoozer
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My husband did this for about a month. Until he realized that the more he nagged me about something, especially something that he did, the less likely it was to get done. If he makes a mess and then complains about it, suggest he not be such a slob and actual pick up after himself. He's not one of the kids, he's perfectly capable of putting his dishes in the sink or picking up a damn pillow. He sounds like an entitled baby, and you shouldn't have to put up with that. He's an adult, he needs to start acting like one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I hear ya. My SO doesn't pick up after himself at all. Think about all the items you touch in the course of a day, now imagine that you never put ANYTHING away. If he has cereal in the morning his bowl will be left where he ate it, the cereal box will be on the table, and the cabinet will still be open. He does put the milk away usually. so thats good. His clothes will be in a pile on the floor wherever he decided to change. We both work, right now he works 20 hours a week and I work between 25-30 hours. We have a 14 month old son. When I'm working whatever food my son eats will stay out, any toys he played with will be out. It's just ridiculous. As soon as I come home from work I take care of my son and clean up everything, cook dinner while watching my son, put my son to bed then get my SOs plate ready. Theres so much more to the story of when he is watching our son. but thats for another day. I completley understand you.

redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Take all the crap he leaves lying around and put it in his vehicle :) I would suggest the bed but you have to sleep there too. Now if he has a computer desk and chair that could work too. Eventually he might just get the hint!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I have brought this up multiple times, i tell him if you would just pick up after yourself a little bit, it would save me a lot of time. he says he will, but he doesn't. It's super frustrating. And he tries to act like before we were together he was soo clean .. not true. he lived with his sister at one time and she told me how nasty his room was LOL

Quoting redneckmama2:

Tell him if he doesnt like it maybe he should make it a little easier on you and pick up after himself. It is not that damn difficult!

CotterpinDoozer
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

That's not acceptable behavior. He's not a kid, there is no reason he shouldn't be taking his plates to the sink, and closing cabinets. Have you spoken to him about it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I hear ya. My SO doesn't pick up after himself at all. Think about all the items you touch in the course of a day, now imagine that you never put ANYTHING away. If he has cereal in the morning his bowl will be left where he ate it, the cereal box will be on the table, and the cabinet will still be open. He does put the milk away usually. so thats good. His clothes will be in a pile on the floor wherever he decided to change. We both work, right now he works 20 hours a week and I work between 25-30 hours. We have a 14 month old son. When I'm working whatever food my son eats will stay out, any toys he played with will be out. It's just ridiculous. As soon as I come home from work I take care of my son and clean up everything, cook dinner while watching my son, put my son to bed then get my SOs plate ready. Theres so much more to the story of when he is watching our son. but thats for another day. I completley understand you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)