Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Child support isn't for XYZ it is for your kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
3 moms liked this

Why is that such a popular thing to say on here... A mom is complaining she wont have enough money for xyz bills if ex doesnt pay child support that month/week etc...

and ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone is on here screaming at her

"CHILD SUPPORT ISNT FOR THAT, IT'S FOR YOUR KID"

I have to laugh at how incredibly short sighted these women are.

Say  she has 100 bucks for this pay period, after paying rent and other major bills , and child support is 50 a week (using little numbers for simplicity, although I am aware that it is reality for many women.)

She needs to buy food, prescriptions, diapers, etc... whatever for her kids. Either way, her kids are going to take up the majority of her money for the week plus all the CHILD SUPPORT that *IS* for the kids needs, and she can only budget so much for the small but important bills like say, her cell phone or gas, whatever. 

So, Child support falls through. What is she supposed to put to the side? Her kids' needs or the other stuff? Obviously she needs to get her kids what they need, and that eats up all her money. And that leaves no money left over for the small but important things like gas. Because that money that ex should be paying, never made it to her.

So when a woman says, I didnt get child support, now I dont have any money for XYZ... most likely, it's because she had to cover his share on top of hers.

now, the rest of the statements, "budget better" or " you shouldn't depend on childsupport, always have back up in case it doesn't come" are more practical and while not necessarily an attainable reality for the woman complaining, are at least a little better thought out...

If Im not replying, its because I have to leave for work. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I get mine at the end of the month, after i have already paid for everything.
That's mine and my 6 y/os fun money.... Movies, books, the go-cart tracks. His dad knows and is fine with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Child support is not allocated for specifc items.  It is to support the household the children live in.  It takes rent/mortgage, taxes, heat, water, food, etc to support a child.  Why can't the custodial parent use the funds for any of these needs? 

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My child support goes directly from his check to my bank account electronically.  I dont treat it any different than I do the money from my paychecks.  It all goes in the same pot for the same purposes.  It would be nice to not have to depend on CS but for alot of us, that is not a reality.  If I didnt get mine, I would not be able to afford child care.  The amount he pays is just enough to pay my babysitter each month and nothing more.  I think its dumb and a waste of time to sit down and say "Ok, X amount of CS goes for food, X amount for rent....."  Just put it all together!  

ramonafrog
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM
This
I hate the phrase "it's Cs, not baby mama support"
Ugh... Who do they think is caring for the kids??

Quoting Anonymous:

Child support is not allocated for specifc items.  It is to support the household the children live in.  It takes rent/mortgage, taxes, heat, water, food, etc to support a child.  Why can't the custodial parent use the funds for any of these needs? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Paying bills that are related to shelter, utilities, etc.  is part of child care.  If the rent wasn't covered, they'd be out on the street, including the child.  If the light bill and heating bill wasn't paid, the child would be in the dark and without heat.

LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Agree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)