Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
2 moms liked this

First of all, let me just say that my heart goes out to all of the families that have lost children due to bullying.  I feel so sad for these families, and I agree that bullying needs to stop.

Now for the part where I'm going to get ripped to shreds -   Why are we ONLY blaming bullying for these deaths?  Why aren't parents that see their kids struggling seeking them help?  How oblivious do you have to be to see that your child is SUICIDAL?

Please enlighten me.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM
BUMP!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
That is a good question. If parents would teach their kids to defend themselves and if parents would pay attention to their kids we wouldn't have such an issue with bullying and suicide.
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
10 moms liked this

People, both adult and kids alike, tend to hide away those kinds of feelings. I had a friend who committed suicide many years ago, and we had absolutely NO idea that she was so bad off. We spent a lot of time together, she seemed so happy, we would have never guessed she would do something like that. So blaming the parent for "not seeing it" is crap. The kid wouldn't feel like that in the first place if it weren't for the bully terrorizing them. So I think the blame has been placed exactly where it belongs.

mom2four1978
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

don't think parents always see it. Many children are very empathetic with their parents and don't want their parents to hurt. So they hide it when they themselves are hurting.

AndrewsMommy01
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I agree. I could tell right away when my son started being bullied. We sat him down and talked to him about what was going on and told him we knew something was going on and he wasn't getting out of the room until he told us. We talked about everything and put a plan in place to start and deal with it. Things have been getting better since and that was only a few weeks ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I'm with you, parents on both sides of bullying need to be more aware and in tune with what is going on in their  childrens lives. If you are paying attention, you will see that something is up. whether the child is being bullied or the one bullying, parents need to start taking responsibility.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Many parents are aware of the bullying.  Maybe not the suicidal aspect, but as soon as the bullying starts, something must be done.

Quoting nerdymom28:

People, both adult and kids alike, tend to hide away those kinds of feelings. I had a friend who committed suicide many years ago, and we had absolutely NO idea that she was so bad off. We spent a lot of time together, she seemed so happy, we would have never guessed she would do something like that. So blaming the parent for "not seeing it" is crap. The kid wouldn't feel like that in the first place if it weren't for the bully terrorizing them. So I think the blame has been placed exactly where it belongs.

Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I kinda agree with you. 

s.osborne
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Alot of times parents want to give their kids space in the hopes that's a part of support. When I was 16 i was severely depressed and had suicidal thoughts. I was so angry and hated everything. My parents gave me space because I wouldn't talk to them if they didn't leave me alone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hargonagain
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • I think that many adults have that whole, oh, it can't be that bad attitude or don't want to admit that something is happening to their kids.  Where we grew up my sister and I were bullied horribly for years.  We would beg our mom to move some where else so we could go to a different school.  She would always say she wanted us to graduate with our friends. We would tell her, uh mom, we don't HAVE any friends!  It wasn't until we were adults and talking about it with my sister one day with my mom present that she realized the extent of the bullying.  I finally got the physical part to stop after I beat the crap out of a girl at school, but the name calling, talking crap about us, and all that went on well into high school.  We were a very small minority in our town, there were only 11 white kids in our school and we we're not well liked by the majority because we were white.  
  • I think that many adults believe that we can just "work it out"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)