Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Is the word "colored" offensive when talking about people of color?

Options:

YES

NO

OTHER (because there has to be)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 110

View Results

when used to describe people of color..... offensive or no? I have a friend of mine who says it's not, and that it's a regional thing, and I think she's ignorant.  Like seriously, I live in GA, and the ONLY people that could get away with saying are 90 year old white people, and they're excused because they're old. (growing up when they did "colored" and "negro" were the nice terms)

I'm from NY and never heard anyone describe someone as colored. 

She's from IN and says "everyone" says it there, and that it's OK because she's never been corrected by anyone of color.

I'm surprised she hasn't had her ass kicked by now.

So, CM gods, what do YOU deem the word "colored"? Offensive or not?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
queen_k0302
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Umm im from Indiana and live in Arkansas now. It is not acceptable in either place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I live in KY and at one point, I had my grandmother who had Alzheimer's living with me. We were at the doctor's office and there were two black families in the waiting room. My grandmother all of a sudden shouted "what are all these colored people doing here?" the whole waiting got quiet and stared at us in shock. I sat there in shock and said "I am so sorry!" then quietly mothed "she has Alzheimer's." A few people sort of smiled but the shock was still pretty evident. So I would definitely say that it is NOT an acceptable southern thing!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
It's just a word like all the rest and only has as much power as you give to it.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM
This.

I do t thing their is a politically correct term when it comes to defining people based on their skin.

Quoting Sandiekd21:

To me 'colored' is what my kids did in t heir coloring books.
People are people.
We don't use adjectives when talking about someone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cece5000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Its offensive.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

i'm honestly not trying to be snarky or bitchy...but how is "people of color" any different from saying "colored people"?

Quoting Babujai:

"People of color" is more appropriate.  "Colored" is not inherently offensive, but it is a psychologically loaded term that is reminiscent of the abuses and discrimination of slavery and jim crow.

kidlover2
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Depends on who, why, and the context. Everybody does know what the NAACP stands for... right?
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Yeah, I guess it would be offensive if used in a conversation. I think it's an outdated term. Why don't people just say 'black'? We never describe people by the color of their skin unless they're white, now that I think about it. We'll say, "That guy/girl who looks Latin-American/Asian/AA." My kids never refer to people by their color either.

.MommyEast.
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Quoting kidlover2:

Depends on who, why, and the context. Everybody does know what the NAACP stands for... right?
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Yes, although I admit I don't really understand why.  (I know the history)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)