Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Is the word "colored" offensive when talking about people of color?

Options:

YES

NO

OTHER (because there has to be)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 110

View Results

when used to describe people of color..... offensive or no? I have a friend of mine who says it's not, and that it's a regional thing, and I think she's ignorant.  Like seriously, I live in GA, and the ONLY people that could get away with saying are 90 year old white people, and they're excused because they're old. (growing up when they did "colored" and "negro" were the nice terms)

I'm from NY and never heard anyone describe someone as colored. 

She's from IN and says "everyone" says it there, and that it's OK because she's never been corrected by anyone of color.

I'm surprised she hasn't had her ass kicked by now.

So, CM gods, what do YOU deem the word "colored"? Offensive or not?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The word "colored" makes me think of crayons, not people> IDK  just me

JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I don't know anyone who actually uses that term. It has a negative connotation so I would think it would be offensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frzmamaof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm black and dh is white, our 4 children are biracial and I don't like the "colored" word. It just sounds disrespectful, but I'd rather hear "colored" than "negro"!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

The difference is that "people of color" is more inclusive and covers any "brown" person anywhere in the world, where as "colored people" is almost always referring to black people in the US, in the south, before even the appearance of equal rights.  It's all about the historical and psychological tone.

It's like calling someone a "jew boy" rather than a "jewish boy"...the first is a pejorative, the second is a descriptive...and the only difference is the "ish".

Quoting almondpigeon:

i'm honestly not trying to be snarky or bitchy...but how is "people of color" any different from saying "colored people"?

Quoting Babujai:

"People of color" is more appropriate.  "Colored" is not inherently offensive, but it is a psychologically loaded term that is reminiscent of the abuses and discrimination of slavery and jim crow.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

britishmummy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Hmm. I say colored, only because when I say 'black' I get an ear full that I am a racist. I say colored as it doesn't matter if they are African, Jamaican or only half with half white. It's almost impossible to not offend anybody no though, I PERSONALLY find the term colored is fine to use. It is far from offensive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

i think not. saying "black" seems more offensive to me. it's not like their calling them the "N" word.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

IMO, it's no different than saying "black"

britishmummy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

There are far too many ignorant women online today. We do not 'fail' at life, we have a different opinion to you. Offensive varies from different cities and countries. I find coloured a polite term, there are much worse terms.

Quoting banana-bear:

Who the fuck voted no? You fail at life.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Like you I think the only people saying colored now are old people who grew up with that term being used.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I call it Double A's. My 4yo calls them "brown people".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured