Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Is the word "colored" offensive when talking about people of color?

Options:

YES

NO

OTHER (because there has to be)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 110

View Results

when used to describe people of color..... offensive or no? I have a friend of mine who says it's not, and that it's a regional thing, and I think she's ignorant.  Like seriously, I live in GA, and the ONLY people that could get away with saying are 90 year old white people, and they're excused because they're old. (growing up when they did "colored" and "negro" were the nice terms)

I'm from NY and never heard anyone describe someone as colored. 

She's from IN and says "everyone" says it there, and that it's OK because she's never been corrected by anyone of color.

I'm surprised she hasn't had her ass kicked by now.

So, CM gods, what do YOU deem the word "colored"? Offensive or not?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Replies (41-50):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

When I was at the hospital... Just gave birth... One of the pedis referred to my son as a baby of color. It bothered me... Idk why but it just did. I may have been just sensitive but still I was offended.

"Calm your tits... It's not that serious."
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Every word is offensive to someone. I am sure you could walk down the street telling your friend that you wanted to stop at the store and buy some oranges and SOMEONE would be offended.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I honestly have no idea whatsoever.

jas_momof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Def outdated...

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Yes, since everyone, no matter their race, has color in their skin. 

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM

If I were a nurse, I wouldn't have said that. She could have referred to him by name. Was there a reason for her to? I don't see why that would be relevant to the care a newborn is receiving at a hospital. Congrats btw :)

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

When I was at the hospital... Just gave birth... One of the pedis referred to my son as a baby of color. It bothered me... Idk why but it just did. I may have been just sensitive but still I was offended.

Jessiejem
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm from NY , no one uses the term colored . I am white , but I would imagine that the term isn't meant as a compliment .

The term that drives me crazy is oriental when describing Asians...om oriental is a rug style not a race lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I go by what POC tell me, and the general consensus is that yes, it'a very offensive. One friend explained to me that the word puts their skin color first and humanity second, whereas the term "people of color" does the opposite - it puts emphasis first on the fact they are people, which is something other people sometimes need to be reminded of.
MsRkg
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I think it's highly offensive since the word comes with so much prejudice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kaylawv2
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I don't use the term, but here it a lot around here from old and young people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN