Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is "boy and girl siblings" sharing a room "illegal"?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can anyone tell me, bc in the post about the woman's children who are sharing a room and they are boy and girl, i saw some women saying its illegal and "wrong".

They are siblings..whats the difference?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Replies (201-210):
Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I see nothing wrong with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

this- 

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

It's not illegal. I didn't find any case laws actually criminalizing opposite gender full blooded siblings sharing a room.

What the law does allow is private landlords and federally funded housing to make their own room sharing guidelines.

A homeowner can put their full blooded kids however they want.

SusieQue717
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

What? It's illegal? really? I'm totally breaking the law! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Some people have opinions on how THEY think things should be, and claim laws to back their opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, because when I was five I was molested by my 8 year old cousin. I just.. Idk, feel not happy with the idea of DD and SS sharing a room because of that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, because when I was five I was molested by my 8 year old cousin. I just.. Idk, feel not happy with the idea of DD and SS sharing a room because of that.

Well, in that case, I have to agree with you. Go with your gut.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Quoting mrsrodgers0703:

So that makes it illegal?..

Quoting Anonymous:

It's called privacy.  After kids are say 3 yrs old - They want to be independent and have his/her own room. IMO

No it's not illegal. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Not true about TX. If you have one child you can rent a one bedroom. If you have two children of the opposite sex. You can rent a two bedroom.

I do think landlords can implement their own policies.

But is it not against state law.

Quoting Anonymous:

I may be wrong but I think atleast in TX if you rent an apartment & have a DS & DD you have to have a 3bedroom apartment.. Just like if you have a kid you have to have a 2bedroom apartment...

A friend moved here, needed 1 bedroom for him for a few months-- but his GF & young DS would be joining him later on, they said he had to get 2 bedrooms. That by law the kid needed his own room. :-/

My mom grew up having to share a room with her younger brother sometimes. she didnt see it as a big deal. I personally hope my kids dont have to share.. I feel hormones are crazy & Ive heard of same-sex siblings exploring their sexuality  :( so just imagine what may happen if a b/g sibling shared a room ........... Kids need their space to get to know theirself...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM

It is against the rules of cps for foster kids. And personally I feel that when siblings of the opposite sex reach a certain age they need to be split up and have their own bedrooms. 

mommie2twogirls
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Well it's what the case worker said when we were trying to get my nephews and my niece back, and their mom was living in a one bedroom apartment with 2 boys and a girl (all over 5) they said they couldnt punish her for being poor (not what the problem was and we ended up winning in the long run) but on top of the kids sharing a room, she was also failing drugs test after drug test, only finally losing when she took my niece on a drug deal that happened to undercover sting (which wasn't even reported to CPS it took us reporting it) So apparently there isnt a single Florida Child Protective Officer DCF caseworker that really knows what the florida laws say, what I looked up in says that if they are in the parents care it does not matter if they share a room

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommie2twogirls:

its only illegal (in the state of florida atleast) if the children are over 5 and not in the parents custody, for example my nephews and niece ages 13,10, and 6 (6 yr old is the the onkly girl) my parents have custody of, she has to have the girl in a different room then the boys, but when they lived with their mom it was ok for them to share a room

well a flordia officer says you were lied to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)