Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents should NOT support this! What is wrong with people?! *EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know I'm going to get ripped to shreds but oh well here it goes! I do not like the fact that parents of young children support their kids when they come to them and say that they're "gay" or "transgendered". How can a kid that's like 10 even make that decision?! Parents need to be parents and at least try to push them in the right direction. Way too many parents supporting whatever the hell pops into their kid's heads!

Thanks to everyone who replied and the ones that agreed with me! :) As a parent I will ALWAYS guide my kids to do what is morally right growing up. If they grow up and turn out to be gay or whatever I will still love them!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (141-150):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I'll support my children no matter what. We will get through it. But their father said he would disown them if any of them were gay, transgender etc. 

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

You obviously have no understanding of psychology.

Quoting godsgirl26:

I agree. This lady dressed her son up in girl stuff saying he is transgendered. I was thinking like oh my gosh how can he be when he's only flipping 5.

Quoting Anonymous:

Totally agree. Especially when they're like 5.

Kids that age basically repeat what they hear and have all kinds of random ideas from one hour to the next.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Do you realize that at 7 year old wants to be a fireman one day and a Olympic swimmer the next? 

Quoting purpleducky:

Do you not realize that professionals would tell you to embrace who your child is?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I was sure I was a mermaid when I was 7.  My mother disagreed.  After about a year or so of waiting for my legs to disappear, I had to let the fantasy go. 

Seriously, I'll allow myself to get ripped to shred right along with you OP.  I don't give a damn.  It ridiculous.  As a mother of 6 boys, I know for a fact that DH and myself would have not `supported' an 8 years olds decision to live as a girl, consider himself a girl etc.  We would have discussed the issue with the doctor and proceeded from there' possibly to some counseling if necessary.  But funny thing is that children didn't think about these things many years ago because society wasn't pushing adult issues on children.  They hear about adult issues about gender and sexuality constantly in every medium. 

garnet83
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I will love her no matter what, but I will not pretend to condone that unnatural mess.

Quoting purpleducky:

Let's hope you child never comes out as LGBTQ because you will cause them to have depression and/or suicidal ideation most likely.

Quoting garnet83:

Yeah I can see my 5 year old saying that. She also believes in fairies, thinks that if a boy kisses her she will become a princess and live in a palace, thinks that if a spider bites her she will have the same powers as Spiderman, and that there is a magic necklace she hasn't disovered yet that will give her the ability to talk to animals. So, no. I will not take that nonsense seriously nor would I support it at any age.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

That is different than feeling like you were born the wrong sex.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Do you realize that at 7 year old wants to be a fireman one day and a Olympic swimmer the next? 

Quoting purpleducky:

Do you not realize that professionals would tell you to embrace who your child is?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I was sure I was a mermaid when I was 7.  My mother disagreed.  After about a year or so of waiting for my legs to disappear, I had to let the fantasy go. 

Seriously, I'll allow myself to get ripped to shred right along with you OP.  I don't give a damn.  It ridiculous.  As a mother of 6 boys, I know for a fact that DH and myself would have not `supported' an 8 years olds decision to live as a girl, consider himself a girl etc.  We would have discussed the issue with the doctor and proceeded from there' possibly to some counseling if necessary.  But funny thing is that children didn't think about these things many years ago because society wasn't pushing adult issues on children.  They hear about adult issues about gender and sexuality constantly in every medium. 

bellawomen
by Summer on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The RIGHT direction for my child is the direction they would be going.  Gay is not wrong.  Transgender is not wrong.  Transsexual is not wrong.

Oh and just to get you in a big tizzy...I also let my son pick out his own clothes and don't care if they match.  He is 9 and wears mismatched socks daily...sometimes even different lengths.  Oh and sometimes they are pink and purple.  His favorite color is turquoise.  He told me the other day he isn't sure will have a boyfriend or girlfriend first, but doesn't want either for a long time.  Guess what...I will even let him hold hands and kiss with other boys when he is ready to date.

That said, I will do whatever I need to do to support my child to be whoever he wants to be so long as he isn't hurting himself or others.

kailalaila
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

the right direction? you mean to make them feel that being gay, transgender is wrong. and that the right direction is being straight. do you know how dumb that sounds. I applaude every parent that will support their child 100% no matter the age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Not like they are having permanent surgery at that age. If they are finding themselves they should be given that chance and supported.

If you think it is a phase let them go with it and be who they are at that point. If it really only a phase and it isn't who they are they will grow out of it. No harm has been done bc you supported and loved them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I hate this whole, let your kids be who they are, crap. at 10 yrs old they don't know who they are. they are still learning and growing. they are too young to be making that kind of decision.

redbutterfly666
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

i have no comment other then this, i knew i liked men and women when i was 5,told no one always thought i was weird, finally told my dad at 15 that i was pansexual and he told me to either shut my fucking mouth or just not tell anyone else.

so that being said yes ill support my son if he tells me he's gay or transgendered

Nynnie
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Some children that are transgender, feel like the other gender ALL their life. I would try things to make my kid feel better as the person they are born as, but ultimatly I would support them, though I would not be very happy if my son came to me and said he is a girl on the inside. I knew I liked boys every since I can remember, so I imagin other kids know who they like when they are kids. However, when my period started, and my boobs started showing, I did wear baggy clothes and for a little while everytime I got my period I wished I was a boy, so that I didn't have a period or a body that made me uncomfortable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)