Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents should NOT support this! What is wrong with people?! *EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know I'm going to get ripped to shreds but oh well here it goes! I do not like the fact that parents of young children support their kids when they come to them and say that they're "gay" or "transgendered". How can a kid that's like 10 even make that decision?! Parents need to be parents and at least try to push them in the right direction. Way too many parents supporting whatever the hell pops into their kid's heads!

Thanks to everyone who replied and the ones that agreed with me! :) As a parent I will ALWAYS guide my kids to do what is morally right growing up. If they grow up and turn out to be gay or whatever I will still love them!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (441-450):
crumpy_gat
by No. on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM
3 moms liked this
By your logic girls shouldn't know they like boys until what--puberty? and vice versa. So why do they have crushes? Why are they naturally drawn to the opposite sex? Because it's inborn. Same goes for those attracted to their own gender. Forcing them to ignore it is only hiding their true feelings for your own sake, and hurting them in the process. How is that better?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I agree, they are still learning and trying to figure things out. Which is exactly why I wouldn't take it seriously. It may even be something that young kids hear from older classmates etc and pick it up because they think it is cool or whatever. I am not saying I would say something nasty or start trying to exorcise the demon or whatever, LOL. I am just saying, don't take it as set in stone at this point.

Quoting shannonw79:

They are learning who they are. I'm not in favor of giving ten year old sex changes but if my dd tells me she wants to marry a girl who am I to tell her she doesn't?

See, to me everything isn't about sex. As young girls many of us have a picture of our fairy tale life. Husband, homes, weddings, whatever. If my dd sees a female in the spouse position that's her fairy tale. It may change and it may not. I won't stunt their personal growth by telling them something is wrong with them. I've taught them the opposite actually.

If my dd told me she felt like she should have been a boy I still wouldn't tell her she was wrong. I wouldn't attempt to attach a penis but I would support her feeling because they are valid to me.

It's a matter of support in my mind. If her feeling change as she grows fine. But if they don't change my girls will be secure in the knowledge that they are loved and accepted no matter what.

Quoting harehelper:

But a child that young doesn't have any idea who they are yet, that's the point. My nine year old thinks he already knows who he wants to marry and is talking about having kids with her, LOL. I don't take it seriously, because he doesn't understand how life works yet.

Quoting shannonw79:

Yeah I know right!!! Parents loving and supporting their kids for who they are, what is this world coming to!?!

crazygirl907
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a decision. That's all. 

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I knew I was attracted to girls long before puberty struck. No amount of coercion from my parents would have changed that. Hell, I already felt like something was wrong with me because of it. If it were that simple to change how you feel there wouldn't be nearly as many homosexuals as there are.

xanayda
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Love the person hate the sin. I'd always love my child and do anything for them but i won't accept that they are gay...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonw79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Seems like we agree. As I said I would schedule sex change surgery or start planing a rainbow wedding. My whole point is they know they are accepted and loved no matter what.
But this whole post was about not supporting your child. That is what my original comment was addressing.

Quoting harehelper:

I agree, they are still learning and trying to figure things out. Which is exactly why I wouldn't take it seriously. It may even be something that young kids hear from older classmates etc and pick it up because they think it is cool or whatever. I am not saying I would say something nasty or start trying to exorcise the demon or whatever, LOL. I am just saying, don't take it as set in stone at this point.

Quoting shannonw79:

They are learning who they are. I'm not in favor of giving ten year old sex changes but if my dd tells me she wants to marry a girl who am I to tell her she doesn't?

See, to me everything isn't about sex. As young girls many of us have a picture of our fairy tale life. Husband, homes, weddings, whatever. If my dd sees a female in the spouse position that's her fairy tale. It may change and it may not. I won't stunt their personal growth by telling them something is wrong with them. I've taught them the opposite actually.

If my dd told me she felt like she should have been a boy I still wouldn't tell her she was wrong. I wouldn't attempt to attach a penis but I would support her feeling because they are valid to me.

It's a matter of support in my mind. If her feeling change as she grows fine. But if they don't change my girls will be secure in the knowledge that they are loved and accepted no matter what.

Quoting harehelper:

But a child that young doesn't have any idea who they are yet, that's the point. My nine year old thinks he already knows who he wants to marry and is talking about having kids with her, LOL. I don't take it seriously, because he doesn't understand how life works yet.

Quoting shannonw79:

Yeah I know right!!! Parents loving and supporting their kids for who they are, what is this world coming to!?!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I like cats. And Cupcakes...

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM

talk to a gay or transgendered adult...all knew at a very young age. 

Emmakins84
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM
The right direction? There is no right or wrong. If a child is gay, that's that. Yes, sometimes young kids have "crushes" on the same sex because they admire them or just think they're pretty. Communication and understanding. Telling their kids that they're "wrong" will only cause problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I agree with you, now I wouldn't through them under the bus but I sure as hell wouldn't say "Hey, your right" I don't think any person knows they are gey or transgerder when they are under say 17. They don't even know what sex is and they don't even know what a Male or Female role is. It's so totally not about what toys or what clothes you wear. All little boys like to play dress up in mommies clothes and all little girls will want to shave or wear mommies shoes. Who the child is friends with or not friends with has nothing to do with it. I think all the things they point out is not even relevent. My son would wear girls clothes in the closet at 10 means nothing. The parents who say "I wouldn't let him wear girls dress up clothes was a bad mom" I even at 10 wouldn't stop my son from playing in girls dress up clothes at home if he wants. I don't think any parents should allow their children to go in public after 5 in the opposit genders clothes you are confusing them as to what their role is. They can't want to be the opposite genders role until they truely know what their role is.. That doesn't happen MUCH later in life, sometimes until after they move out...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)