Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents should NOT support this! What is wrong with people?! *EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know I'm going to get ripped to shreds but oh well here it goes! I do not like the fact that parents of young children support their kids when they come to them and say that they're "gay" or "transgendered". How can a kid that's like 10 even make that decision?! Parents need to be parents and at least try to push them in the right direction. Way too many parents supporting whatever the hell pops into their kid's heads!

Thanks to everyone who replied and the ones that agreed with me! :) As a parent I will ALWAYS guide my kids to do what is morally right growing up. If they grow up and turn out to be gay or whatever I will still love them!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (451-460):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 84 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

"right direction".....my childs happiness is the right direction no matter what that may be 

ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Who are you to say what is the right direction? It's not like feeling the opposite is against the law.

Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM
You are born gay or transgender, you don't just wake up one day and say hmmm I like women/men. I would rather my child be honest with me, then pretend to be something he is not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Please explain what the "right direction" is and why I should push my child to be anything but kind and responsible.

ktwister
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM
I'm so lucky that God blessed me with the understanding that being transgender and gay is not something that can be beat out of a person.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shimmifairy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I've known all my life that I am a girl and that I like boys....No one had to tell me that.....I assume it's the same way with a transgendered or gay person....Every homosexual person I've ever spoken to - and I am nosy when someone will allow,lol - has said the same thing...they always knew, they were made that way....

So if my child comes to me and says, Mom, I like girls or Mom, I feel like I'm a boy....Well then, I'm going to support them....I'm goint to do what I need to do to help them understand what they feel, want and need....Because they are mine and I love them

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Quoting shannonw79:

Yeah I know right!!! Parents loving and supporting their kids for who they are, what is this world coming to!?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 85 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We've had something similar happen, I personally hope my son changes his mind - he's now 19 and says he is bi.  - but we support him either way.  And I would never say anything to him about changing.  We tried not to make a big deal of it when he told us.  I hope one day for grandkids, he's great with his little brother, but seriously it's his choice, his feelings and not my place to decide what's right or wrong for him. 

romalove
by SakePrincess on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:50 AM

What makes you think that something like that "pops in" to a kid's head?  

I think kids know from an early age if they are attracted to same sex or don't feel right as they are gendered.  My kids are all heavily into music and performing arts and they have many gay friends and I know/have known many gay kids over the years.  They didn't suddenly decide that in high school, you could tell when they were small.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 86 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Actually when my DD was 4 she decided that she was no longer ____ but Madeline (from that little TV show?) and refused to let the teachers write her real name or call her her real name. That went on for weeks. When she was 7 she decided she was a male character from Power Rangers and refused to do anything at all unless I called her by her new name and because I fought it it went for heaps longer than it should have. So what would you have done when your daughter refuses to eat for 16 hours because you won't call her a male name?

Quoting Kaybean:

This. At that young of an age, I would not take it seriously and would not allow my child to change themselves and asked to be called by a different name, etc. It's likely a phase at that age IMO. Now if they still felt that way down the road, I would take it more seriously.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I don't think I could support my child. I really don't. Maybe at 15 but at 6 or 7? I don't think I would take them seriously.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)