Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about the Second Amendment? Do you think the Sandy Hook crowd should have heckled?

Posted by   + Show Post

Sandy Hook Dad Heckled By Gun Lovers & They Should Be Ashamed

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on January 29, 2013 

A father who lost his 6-year-old son in the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was actually heckled by gun advocates. Heckled! How on earth do you dredge up enough yuck from your soul to be able to heckle a guy who lost his child in the most horrific manner possible? Well, some gun lovers managed. Because they love their guns more than their humanity. When Neil Heslin, who lost his son Jesse in the Newtown killings, testified before a local hearing on gun control, he asked a simple, reasonable question: WHY does anyone need an assault rifle? You'd think gun lovers would have a good answer for this. You'd think they would have researched, prepared, passionately and intelligently reasoned for why assault weapons are a necessary thing for your average person. But instead they heckled.

So what did they heckle? When Neil asked why people need assault weapons, the brilliant (sarcasm) gun enthusiasts yelled, "Second Amendment! Second Amendment!" drowning out the devastated dad.

Neil stayed classy and replied: "We're all entitled to our own opinions and I respect their opinions and their thoughts. But I wish they'd respect mine and give it a little bit of thought."

I don't expect Second Amendment buffs to be able to think rationally or critically about this matter, but here's the truth. Amendments get altered, changed, even repealed. Just because it's an amendment doesn't make it sacred. Let's see ... ever hear of the 16th Amendment? That allows the government to collect income tax. But guess what? There are seven states that don't collect income tax! Shocker.

Ever hear of the 18th Amendment? That abolishes the sale of alcohol. But lo! That unpopular Amendment was repealed entirely by something called the 21st Amendment.

There's the Eighth Amendment, which prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment." Yet I'm willing to bet a lot of these Second Amendment lovers are just fine with strapping someone down and administering a lethal injection into their veins. The 15th Amendment established suffrage for men of different races. But conveniently left out women. That didn't happen for another 50 years.

Additionally, other Amendments, such as the First Amendment, which protects freedom of speech, isn't a sweeping, anything-goes, black-and-white rule. You can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded place when there's no fire just because you have freedom of speech. Try yelling "Bomb!" on a plane and then standing behind the First Amendment. It won't get you very far.

So an Amendment is not sacred, my friends. The right to bear arms doesn't necessarily mean the right to bear an AK-47 any more than it means you can stock a nuclear weapon or a cannon. Deal with it.

What do you think about the Second Amendment? Do you think the crowd should have heckled?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Are you kidding me? Up until very recent history, assault rifles were banned. Open a damn history book. Nobody took away all guns, and nobody is taking away all guns. Feinstein is a gun owner. She is not trying to take away your guns.

FFS open a history book and quit listening to everything the nut jobs at the NRA has to say.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Give me a solid reason why the majority of law abiding citezins should be punished for the actions of a few nut bags? That is collectivism and it isn't fair we face great danger if guns are banned. Feinstein has said multiple times that she plans to ban "all guns". First they ban a few guns here and there turning law abiding citezins into criminals then they ban some more and before you know it the American public has no means to protect themselves. Assault riffles are meant to defend us against tyranny. Guess who's being invaded by the Chinese??? We are. China just bought an oil plant in Texas, next they will have. Military base...and next who knows... 

Quoting lnrmom:

No they should not have heckled and any time gun advocates start hollering "because it's fun" or "2nd Ammendment" I shut down completely. Give me a solid reason why someone would need a magazine of 100? I mean seriously?

Wonderwoman1432
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Open a damn history book??? Woman you obviously you have no real concept of history. They are planning on taking away all guns. It is true that feinstein is a gun owner herself but under her proposed bill congress and elected officials would have immunity to this law for life. You need to quit listening to everything you hear on corporate controlled media. I can tell that you are brainwashed by the same regurgitated garbage that is all over the news right now. Things like "why does anyone need 100 rounds" " the nut jobs at the NRA" I suppose you also believe that anyone against Obama is a rascist and that gun owners are redneck terrorist

Quoting lnrmom:

Are you kidding me? Up until very recent history, assault rifles were banned. Open a damn history book. Nobody took away all guns, and nobody is taking away all guns. Feinstein is a gun owner. She is not trying to take away your guns.

FFS open a history book and quit listening to everything the nut jobs at the NRA has to say.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Give me a solid reason why the majority of law abiding citezins should be punished for the actions of a few nut bags? That is collectivism and it isn't fair we face great danger if guns are banned. Feinstein has said multiple times that she plans to ban "all guns". First they ban a few guns here and there turning law abiding citezins into criminals then they ban some more and before you know it the American public has no means to protect themselves. Assault riffles are meant to defend us against tyranny. Guess who's being invaded by the Chinese??? We are. China just bought an oil plant in Texas, next they will have. Military base...and next who knows... 

Quoting lnrmom:

No they should not have heckled and any time gun advocates start hollering "because it's fun" or "2nd Ammendment" I shut down completely. Give me a solid reason why someone would need a magazine of 100? I mean seriously?

Wonderwoman1432
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You still didn't answer my question.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Open a damn history book??? Woman you obviously you have no real concept of history. They are planning on taking away all guns. It is true that feinstein is a gun owner herself but under her proposed bill congress and elected officials would have immunity to this law for life. You need to quit listening to everything you hear on corporate controlled media. I can tell that you are brainwashed by the same regurgitated garbage that is all over the news right now. Things like "why does anyone need 100 rounds" " the nut jobs at the NRA" I suppose you also believe that anyone against Obama is a rascist and that gun owners are redneck terrorist

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Nope, I sure don't. And I think for myself thank you very much. There is no logical reason why a private citizen would need a 100 round clip. Hell, there's no logical reason why anyone would need a 10 round clip, but whatever. I don't own a gun, and I never will own a gun. If you can provide one logical reason why a citizen would need that type of a weapon, I'm all ears. But every time one of those nut jobs - especially those heckling that poor grieving father, open their mouth it irritates me. They are complete loons.

But you appear to be one of them. So have a good day.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The problem is, there is nothing special about what everyone likes to call an "assault rifle". That and the oft used "military style assalt weapon" are made up terms to make simple guns sound scary. So when gun-control advocates start saying that the so-called "assault rifles" should be banned, everyone goes on the defensive because banning those rifles could easily lead to a ban on other guns because there isn't much difference between them.

The much disputed AR-15 is a simple rifle that is reliable, accurate, and easy to operate and handle which is why they are the weapon of choice for so many gun owners. It fires one bullet per trigger squeeze as it is a semi-automatic weapon just like most of the guns that people have. Even though so many people are focused on it, it has only been used in about 3% of all crimes.

The same holds true for an AK-47. I think a lot of people imagine them to be the guns they see in movies that are all belt fed and fire hundreds of rounds per minute. That is not the case, the only version the public has access to is the semi-automatic.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

No, the grieving father should not have been heckled at.... that should go with out saying!

After all of this happened, I asked my DH (because - I will admit - I know NOTHING about guns) "Hun, what can you tell me about an AR-15?"  He said "Well, what do you wan to know?"  I understand the 2nd amendment and I understand the right to own guns, and I am not trying to take away the 2nd amendment rights of anyone, really I am not. 

But, can anyone without going "anon" and without hollering about "it's my right" explain to me why the heck you need an assault rifle in your possession?  I am having a hard time "listening " to the rantings of gun enthusiasts who are insistent on keeping their assault rifles, when there are plenty of other guns out there.

I also agree that there needs to be better background checks done on people buying guns.  Do you realize out of the 61 mass murders that were carried out with fire arms most of the killers obtained the weapon legally?  We, as a noation, need to come up with a better way to screen those that are buying this weapons and then maybe killing like this will start to slow down.  But, where there is a will, there is a way; and as sure as I am sitting here, people will continue to find ways to kill if they really feel "justified" or feel "the need" to do so.

Wonderwoman1432
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Of course your right. Because, government has never been curropt or a risk to it's public. Genocide is the number one killer of mankind but what do I know I'm just a loon.

Quoting lnrmom:

Nope, I sure don't. And I think for myself thank you very much. There is no logical reason why a private citizen would need a 100 round clip. Hell, there's no logical reason why anyone would need a 10 round clip, but whatever. I don't own a gun, and I never will own a gun. If you can provide one logical reason why a citizen would need that type of a weapon, I'm all ears. But every time one of those nut jobs - especially those heckling that poor grieving father, open their mouth it irritates me. They are complete loons.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Considering you couldn't even spell corrupt right... yeah... you are.

Have a good day.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Of course your right. Because, government has never been curropt or a risk to it's public. Genocide is the number one killer of mankind but what do I know I'm just a loon.

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Christ the government excuse again.

Let me put you and your AR in the same room a a drone, if it doesn't kill you then you can tell me who wins.

Do you really think your little assault rifle can beat a government with biological and nuclear weapons.

Come on be real.

As for your taking away ALL guns, you show me what bill actually being reasonably considered is taking away ALL guns. You seem to think your NRA is so awesome, they were fine and dandy banning guns from blacks in the past. What changed?

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Wonderwoman1432
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, great logic. All those who make typos are loons and shouldn't be allowed to own assault riffles or 100 round clips...gee, that is almost like saying the majority of law abiding citezins should be punished for the actions of a small few and all because of a school shooting that is far less  likely to take the life of a child then a drowning in bathtub. You have superior reasoning skills. 

Quoting lnrmom:

Considering you couldn't even spell corrupt right... yeah... you are.

Have a good day.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Quoting lnrmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)