Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about the Second Amendment? Do you think the Sandy Hook crowd should have heckled?

Posted by   + Show Post

Sandy Hook Dad Heckled By Gun Lovers & They Should Be Ashamed

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on January 29, 2013 

A father who lost his 6-year-old son in the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was actually heckled by gun advocates. Heckled! How on earth do you dredge up enough yuck from your soul to be able to heckle a guy who lost his child in the most horrific manner possible? Well, some gun lovers managed. Because they love their guns more than their humanity. When Neil Heslin, who lost his son Jesse in the Newtown killings, testified before a local hearing on gun control, he asked a simple, reasonable question: WHY does anyone need an assault rifle? You'd think gun lovers would have a good answer for this. You'd think they would have researched, prepared, passionately and intelligently reasoned for why assault weapons are a necessary thing for your average person. But instead they heckled.

So what did they heckle? When Neil asked why people need assault weapons, the brilliant (sarcasm) gun enthusiasts yelled, "Second Amendment! Second Amendment!" drowning out the devastated dad.

Neil stayed classy and replied: "We're all entitled to our own opinions and I respect their opinions and their thoughts. But I wish they'd respect mine and give it a little bit of thought."

I don't expect Second Amendment buffs to be able to think rationally or critically about this matter, but here's the truth. Amendments get altered, changed, even repealed. Just because it's an amendment doesn't make it sacred. Let's see ... ever hear of the 16th Amendment? That allows the government to collect income tax. But guess what? There are seven states that don't collect income tax! Shocker.

Ever hear of the 18th Amendment? That abolishes the sale of alcohol. But lo! That unpopular Amendment was repealed entirely by something called the 21st Amendment.

There's the Eighth Amendment, which prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment." Yet I'm willing to bet a lot of these Second Amendment lovers are just fine with strapping someone down and administering a lethal injection into their veins. The 15th Amendment established suffrage for men of different races. But conveniently left out women. That didn't happen for another 50 years.

Additionally, other Amendments, such as the First Amendment, which protects freedom of speech, isn't a sweeping, anything-goes, black-and-white rule. You can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded place when there's no fire just because you have freedom of speech. Try yelling "Bomb!" on a plane and then standing behind the First Amendment. It won't get you very far.

So an Amendment is not sacred, my friends. The right to bear arms doesn't necessarily mean the right to bear an AK-47 any more than it means you can stock a nuclear weapon or a cannon. Deal with it.

What do you think about the Second Amendment? Do you think the crowd should have heckled?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Replies (41-50):
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Gun owners protest bans on large magazines because those bans are just a stepping stone to banning more, smaller magazines etc. Besides, there have been several mass shootings commited using small ten round magazines, such as at Virginia Tech.

Quoting lnrmom:

No they should not have heckled and any time gun advocates start hollering "because it's fun" or "2nd Ammendment" I shut down completely. Give me a solid reason why someone would need a magazine of 100? I mean seriously?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I wouldn't be so worried about China....if you've been paying attention...which it appears you have....then you know....they are working towards a "One World Government"....and China is not at the top of the list on that.....what makes me laugh....for the most part we already are under a "one world government"....like it or not this world is controlled by MONEY....take a look at where the money is....these are the people who "control" the world....if you do your research....you will see they have their hands in EVERY major banking institution IN THE WORLD....they also have funded damn near every war since  the Napoleon war....then look at the Basal 3....then look at the "restructuring" that is going on in....well....everywhere.....China, Viet Nam, Japan, England, Germany, Italy,  France, Egypt, Isreal, Iraq, Iran, Syria....everywhere.....we are going to see some major changes take place over the next 10 yrs or so.....most of which as Americans....we probably won't care a whole lot for.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

In order for you to understand this concept you would have to understand how the gov. Operates. Of course believing the truth requires a paradigm shift that is too world altering for most to accept. They don't want to out right kill us all they want to control us all and that will take our willingness to be controlled and the only way to motivate a populace to give up their rights and freedom is with fear. Look at the invasion of privacy that is h.s. look at the patriot act...why did we allow this? Well, because we were afraid of terr.... Because they supposedly caused 911 even though those buildings were built to withstand multiple attacks and fires. Those buildings collapsed, th first time in history a tiny airplane was able to cause such damage and the first time "7" any building ever collapsed all by itself.

Quoting Anonymous:

Christ the government excuse again.

Let me put you and your AR in the same room a a drone, if it doesn't kill you then you can tell me who wins.

Do you really think your little assault rifle can beat a government with biological and nuclear weapons.

Come on be real.

As for your taking away ALL guns, you show me what bill actually being reasonably considered is taking away ALL guns. You seem to think your NRA is so awesome, they were fine and dandy banning guns from blacks in the past. What changed?

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Of course your right. Because, government has never been curropt or a risk to it's public. Genocide is the number one killer of mankind but what do I know I'm just a loon.

Quoting lnrmom:

Nope, I sure don't. And I think for myself thank you very much. There is no logical reason why a private citizen would need a 100 round clip. Hell, there's no logical reason why anyone would need a 10 round clip, but whatever. I don't own a gun, and I never will own a gun. If you can provide one logical reason why a citizen would need that type of a weapon, I'm all ears. But every time one of those nut jobs - especially those heckling that poor grieving father, open their mouth it irritates me. They are complete loons.

But you appear to be one of them. So have a good day.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Open a damn history book??? Woman you obviously you have no real concept of history. They are planning on taking away all guns. It is true that feinstein is a gun owner herself but under her proposed bill congress and elected officials would have immunity to this law for life. You need to quit listening to everything you hear on corporate controlled media. I can tell that you are brainwashed by the same regurgitated garbage that is all over the news right now. Things like "why does anyone need 100 rounds" " the nut jobs at the NRA" I suppose you also believe that anyone against Obama is a rascist and that gun owners are redneck terrorist

Quoting lnrmom:

Are you kidding me? Up until very recent history, assault rifles were banned. Open a damn history book. Nobody took away all guns, and nobody is taking away all guns. Feinstein is a gun owner. She is not trying to take away your guns.

FFS open a history book and quit listening to everything the nut jobs at the NRA has to say.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Give me a solid reason why the majority of law abiding citezins should be punished for the actions of a few nut bags? That is collectivism and it isn't fair we face great danger if guns are banned. Feinstein has said multiple times that she plans to ban "all guns". First they ban a few guns here and there turning law abiding citezins into criminals then they ban some more and before you know it the American public has no means to protect themselves. Assault riffles are meant to defend us against tyranny. Guess who's being invaded by the Chinese??? We are. China just bought an oil plant in Texas, next they will have. Military base...and next who knows... 

Quoting lnrmom:

No they should not have heckled and any time gun advocates start hollering "because it's fun" or "2nd Ammendment" I shut down completely. Give me a solid reason why someone would need a magazine of 100? I mean seriously?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Sorry, but ANY credible argument you MAY have had has officially nullified itself the moment you came out with your conspiracy theorist bull crap.

Not to mention your entire argument contradicts itself. "Oh the government doesn't want to kill us, just control us." "Oh the government were the REAL terrorists killing 2,996 people on 9/11"

Your argument is officially invalid.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

In order for you to understand this concept you would have to understand how the gov. Operates. Of course believing the truth requires a paradigm shift that is too world altering for most to accept. They don't want to out right kill us all they want to control us all and that will take our willingness to be controlled and the only way to motivate a populace to give up their rights and freedom is with fear. Look at the invasion of privacy that is h.s. look at the patriot act...why did we allow this? Well, because we were afraid of terr.... Because they supposedly caused 911 even though those buildings were built to withstand multiple attacks and fires. Those buildings collapsed, th first time in history a tiny airplane was able to cause such damage and the first time "7" any building ever collapsed all by itself.

Quoting Anonymous:

Christ the government excuse again.

Let me put you and your AR in the same room a a drone, if it doesn't kill you then you can tell me who wins.

Do you really think your little assault rifle can beat a government with biological and nuclear weapons.

Come on be real.

As for your taking away ALL guns, you show me what bill actually being reasonably considered is taking away ALL guns. You seem to think your NRA is so awesome, they were fine and dandy banning guns from blacks in the past. What changed?

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Of course your right. Because, government has never been curropt or a risk to it's public. Genocide is the number one killer of mankind but what do I know I'm just a loon.

Quoting lnrmom:

Nope, I sure don't. And I think for myself thank you very much. There is no logical reason why a private citizen would need a 100 round clip. Hell, there's no logical reason why anyone would need a 10 round clip, but whatever. I don't own a gun, and I never will own a gun. If you can provide one logical reason why a citizen would need that type of a weapon, I'm all ears. But every time one of those nut jobs - especially those heckling that poor grieving father, open their mouth it irritates me. They are complete loons.

But you appear to be one of them. So have a good day.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Open a damn history book??? Woman you obviously you have no real concept of history. They are planning on taking away all guns. It is true that feinstein is a gun owner herself but under her proposed bill congress and elected officials would have immunity to this law for life. You need to quit listening to everything you hear on corporate controlled media. I can tell that you are brainwashed by the same regurgitated garbage that is all over the news right now. Things like "why does anyone need 100 rounds" " the nut jobs at the NRA" I suppose you also believe that anyone against Obama is a rascist and that gun owners are redneck terrorist

Quoting lnrmom:

Are you kidding me? Up until very recent history, assault rifles were banned. Open a damn history book. Nobody took away all guns, and nobody is taking away all guns. Feinstein is a gun owner. She is not trying to take away your guns.

FFS open a history book and quit listening to everything the nut jobs at the NRA has to say.

Quoting Wonderwoman1432:

Give me a solid reason why the majority of law abiding citezins should be punished for the actions of a few nut bags? That is collectivism and it isn't fair we face great danger if guns are banned. Feinstein has said multiple times that she plans to ban "all guns". First they ban a few guns here and there turning law abiding citezins into criminals then they ban some more and before you know it the American public has no means to protect themselves. Assault riffles are meant to defend us against tyranny. Guess who's being invaded by the Chinese??? We are. China just bought an oil plant in Texas, next they will have. Military base...and next who knows... 

Quoting lnrmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Not too mention, if the person behind the gun is an avid shooter, they can drop one mag, and insert the next without hardly loosing a second.  I had this fact proved to me by my DH and one of his friends.  We went to the shooting range.  DH had a 10 mag.  His friend had a 100 mag.   DH was able to drop one mag and insert the next without loosing a beat.  It can be done.  So in my opinion, just because they ban larger mags, that isn't going to stop someone who has set out to do harm, in fact it won't even hardly slow them down.

Quoting harehelper:

Gun owners protest bans on large magazines because those bans are just a stepping stone to banning more, smaller magazines etc. Besides, there have been several mass shootings commited using small ten round magazines, such as at Virginia Tech.

Quoting lnrmom:

Hayleysmom88
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Ok......?? I don't see the issue there, but thanks for your input.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you banned semi-auto guns, then you'll ban 90% of handguns sold in the US.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

I think the gun laws should be modified, and consistent in every state.

I'll admit I am not sure what the laws are in every state, but I think all semi automatic weapons should be banned. Extensive background checks should be done on the individual buying the gun and everyone living in the home where the gun will be kept. The amount of ammunition a person can posses should be regulated.

In addition laws should be harsh and strictly enforced on selling and obtaining guns illegally. Unfortunately our jails are always full to capacity so these people get off with a little more than a slap on the wrist. If we can't keep offenders jailed then keep them on house arrest, increase the fines, require community service until there sentence is.complete.

I understand that majority of people who have a license to carry are not homicidal maniacs, so I understand that enforcing more strict gun laws may inconvenience them, it may even restrict them from owning a gun, but its a small price to pay if we could stop these mass shootings from happening so often.

I am not a hunter but maybe there could be a rental service in designated hunting areas that will rent out a gun and ammo for a few hours. They could track where the gun is at all times and return them to a lock box at the end of the day.

As for owning a gun for protection like I said if you can pass everything on a very extensive backround and household evaluation then it should be your choice to own one. I personally do not like guns in a home where there is any children/young adults but I know many people feel differently.

Shady Brook was a devastating, tragic event. I feel the country must do something now more than ever about the gun laws in our country.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

If you would like to see all semi-auto guns banned, what do you think people should be using for home defense?

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

I'll admit I am not sure what the laws are in every state, but I think all semi automatic weapons should be banned. Extensive background checks should be done on the individual buying the gun and everyone living in the home where the gun will be kept. The amount of ammunition a person can posses should be regulated.

In addition laws should be harsh and strictly enforced on selling and obtaining guns illegally. Unfortunately our jails are always full to capacity so these people get off with a little more than a slap on the wrist. If we can't keep offenders jailed then keep them on house arrest, increase the fines, require community service until there sentence is.complete.

I understand that majority of people who have a license to carry are not homicidal maniacs, so I understand that enforcing more strict gun laws may inconvenience them, it may even restrict them from owning a gun, but its a small price to pay if we could stop these mass shootings from happening so often.

I am not a hunter but maybe there could be a rental service in designated hunting areas that will rent out a gun and ammo for a few hours. They could track where the gun is at all times and return them to a lock box at the end of the day.

As for owning a gun for protection like I said if you can pass everything on a very extensive backround and household evaluation then it should be your choice to own one. I personally do not like guns in a home where there is any children/young adults but I know many people feel differently.

Shady Brook was a devastating, tragic event. I feel the country must do something now more than ever about the gun laws in our country.

Hayleysmom88
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Mase an axe.....the 10% that weren't banned.

Why does some one need a semi automatic gun to protect themselves?

My grandmom still lives in a city row home, same house she got after her wedding a million years ago, as you can imagine the neighborhood isn't what it used to be. She sleeps with an old ice pick under her mattress. LOL.

Quoting harehelper:

If you would like to see all semi-auto guns banned, what do you think people should be using for home defense?

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gilbertgrl627
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I agree with his question- why does an every day citizen NEED an assault rifle? They don't. I couldn't care less if someone has a pistol or even a shot gun. Like it says, The First Amendment doesn't mean "free speech" in all regards, just like "the right to bear arms" doesn't (or shouldn't) mean you can have ANY gun you want. JMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don't think people realize that automatics are already illegal. Most people tend to think "fully automatic" when they think "assault rifle", which have been illegal since the thirties. Also, it seems most people don't understand the reason behind the second amendment. After the civil war, when we fought for our independence from Great Britain, our fore fathers wanted to insure that we had protection from our government IF it became too powerful. It is about liberty over tyranny. We are starting to see bits of the past being played out once again, and right now is not the time to give up, or even revamp, the second amendment. We need to be able to protect ourselves. Many government agencies have been buying EMENCE amounts of hollow point ammo. Why would government agencies that are meant to deal with only domestic affairs, be stocking up on so much ammo. Wake up people! A second civil war is coming! Don't allow the government to kick you while you are down! Bad things are coming, and you need protection. Remember, Germany thought "it couldn't happen" to them. History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.. Besides, if someone wants to kill large amounts of people, making weapons illegal won't hold them back, and in fact will likely make crime rates go UP!

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Mace and an ax? So you really think we shouldn't have ANY guns, is that right? If you feel that non semi-auto guns are ok, then I will explain why a semi-auto is better than a single shot of a bolt action type of gun.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Mase an axe.....the 10% that weren't banned.

Why does some one need a semi automatic gun to protect themselves?

My grandmom still lives in a city row home, same house she got after her wedding a million years ago, as you can imagine the neighborhood isn't what it used to be. She sleeps with an old ice pick under her mattress. LOL.

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)