Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are You a Strict Parent?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

??? do you think you are?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
garnet83
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually don't think I am until I see the differences between my parenting and a lot of other people's. I feel like I'm just structured, organized, and I expect obedience and manners from my children. If it doesn't happen, there are consequences, no exceptions. I definitely am not and "anything goes" type of mom. The things I see that I appear to be strict on compared to other moms are things like slang vocabulary, what they see and hear on tv and the radio, their schedule/routine, and how they dress. I'd rather be labeled "strict" than one day wish that'd I'd been tougher or tried harder.

ratchetlee
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

YES!  VERY!

ratchetlee
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

This describes me very well!

Quoting garnet83:

I usually don't think I am until I see the differences between my parenting and a lot of other people's. I feel like I'm just structured, organized, and I expect obedience and manners from my children. If it doesn't happen, there are consequences, no exceptions. I definitely am not and "anything goes" type of mom. The things I see that I appear to be strict on compared to other moms are things like slang vocabulary, what they see and hear on tv and the radio, their schedule/routine, and how they dress. I'd rather be labeled "strict" than one day wish that'd I'd been tougher or tried harder.

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

On matters of safety and respect I am strict but otherwise I am a pretty laid back mama.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Yes and No.  It depends on the situation.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Depends.  I think I am a fair parent and do my best to be consistent. I listen to my kids but I also expect obedience and respect.  It is all a balance.  I do pretty good, have things I could improve on. In comparison to some parents; I am probably seen as strict. However, my kids are happy, well adjusted and all around good kids. 

awhunt897
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Yes and no. We do have certain expectations of our girls and we are raising them to be respectful and have morals. They both have chores, and have for years (ages 10 and 5 now) and will continue to have more responsibilities as they get older. We see it as our responsibility to raise successful, independent people (women) who contribute to society as adults. But at the same time we love being together and having fun as a family. We do not want to push our girls away from us the first chance they get out. We want to remain close knit into adult hood, but not enablers.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Not at all in most things.

but i don't tolerate blatant disrespect

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM
On certain things I am very strict. Other things not so much. I am strict on grades, clothes and being respectful. Stuff like cleaning their rooms, hanging out with friends I am more lenient on. I don't make them clean unless it becomes a toxic waste site and I let them hang out with friends alot. They are only young once so I try to let them be kids.
Ecomaiden
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yes. Our household has clearly outlined rules and clearly outlined consequences for those rules. Kids don't hit, back talk, throw toys, run, jump (inside) or act in a disrespectful way. They are expected to stay out of things they should not get into and must use their manners - not just at the table. Using the words "Please", "Thank you" and "May I" is expected of them and they have to use their silverware correctly and chew with their mouths closed. They don't get what they want all of the time, but they get what they need.

What do we have as a result? Well-disciplined 3 and 4 year old boys who we are proud to take into public. We encourage creativity and free thinking, and there are certain rules in our house that are non-negotiable. So far, being strict is working for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN