Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no drama momma

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I am not Catholic but Dh is. We are thinking of sending our dd to the school. The public schools here are terrible. Is there anything I should know about how the schools are run? I hear some negative things about Catholic schools but can you tell me how it is for you?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Bump
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Catholic schools are fine. You should try to learn more about the Catholic faith though, so you can answer questions that will come up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My kids went to Catholic school from Pre K to 8th grade. I don't think they were as strong in math and they were in prayer! lol

But we had a lot of positives: Our kids learned about respect, modesty, impulse control, how to work with others, just a really positive atmosphere. We had great parent involvement and both of my kids were ahead of grade level in just about every subject by the time they left private school for public.

The biggest thing I noticed was that we didn't have any of the negatives of public schools: no gangs, no drugs, they wore uniforms, little to no bullying, academics were stressed over other things, and kids knew how to behave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM
That's what I want for her. Sounds nice. Although they don't have uniforms here they do have a strict dresscode.the principal seemed nice. We go to an open house tomorrow. Im excited. She's nervous because we aren't Catholic but we should be able to work with that.

Quoting happinessforyou:

My kids went to Catholic school from Pre K to 8th grade. I don't think they were as strong in math and they were in prayer! lol

But we had a lot of positives: Our kids learned about respect, modesty, impulse control, how to work with others, just a really positive atmosphere. We had great parent involvement and both of my kids were ahead of grade level in just about every subject by the time they left private school for public.

The biggest thing I noticed was that we didn't have any of the negatives of public schools: no gangs, no drugs, they wore uniforms, little to no bullying, academics were stressed over other things, and kids knew how to behave.

Cate1129
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Catholic schools offer a good provate education for the money. A good school will offer your child courses that they can't get in a public school. 

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

We had some kids at our school that were not Catholic- but part of our registration packet explained that if you are a student at this school, you would be participating in all things Catholic! lol Like daily mass, learning prayers, etc..etc.. GL Hope you like it!

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I want for her. Sounds nice. Although they don't have uniforms here they do have a strict dresscode.the principal seemed nice. We go to an open house tomorrow. Im excited. She's nervous because we aren't Catholic but we should be able to work with that.

Quoting happinessforyou:

atyou
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Lots and lots......and lots of prayer.

Lots.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

We are in the same position. DH is catholic, I am not, and *I* am the one who really wants DS to go to private catholic school. I am a public school teacher and I see how the public schools are first hand. Sure, there are a lot of good kids and good teachers, but its kind of luck of the draw and one disruptive kid can really disrupt a whole classroom.

A few things I like about private school--the kids can get kicked out if they misbehave. in public school, there really isn't much you can do about the naughty kids and they know it.

also, the type of parents who take the time and effort to pick their kid's school and pay good money for their kids to go there are much more likely to value an education, and teach their kids to do the same.

Without so many disruptive kids, the kids that are there are better able to focus and learn.

brittany208
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

You don't have to be catholic to go there, but your child isn't going to be able to opt out of Catholic things for "religious reasons". I wouldn't send her if you are OPPOSED to your child becoming catholic, bc with your DH being catholic, and her going to a catholic school, she probably will be too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting happinessforyou:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN