Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if i divorce dh

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Will I have to pay alimony? I make twice as much. He is threatening to get a lawyer and take the house that I pay for, my car that I bought before marriage, our pets, and part of my retirement benefits. He's poor but his grandpa is a lawyer. I don't make much. Only 50k a year
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Replies (41-43):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM
He only pays the electric bill

Quoting countrygirlkat:

The money he was making was going to pay other bills and such though so that your paycheck could go toward the house so even if it came from your private account it is joint property because you both contributed to making money to help pay bills. 

Quoting Anonymous:

"We" bought the house one month before the wedding. His names on the title but all payments, taxes, insurance, closing costs, ect came out of my private checking.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrong. In most states it doesn't matter! My husbands exs wife's name wasn't on shit and she got half.

If it was bought durning the marriage in most states it's half for him half for her. Titles don't mean shit

Quoting Anonymous:

But if his name is not on the title to the house he has no rights to it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Legally the house the car is all half his in most states. Does not matter who paid for it. Good luck

Elishas_mommy10
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Then he can't get alimony. ETA atleast that's how it is in my state
Quoting Anonymous:

A one year certificate from tech school and a low paying factory job

Quoting Elishas_mommy10:

Does he have any work history or an education above High school?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Does he buy food?  Does he buy gas for the vehicles(even if he only buys it for his own vehicle and you or your kids ride in it to go places ever)? Does he buy clothes or items your kids need?  Any money he spends on things other then for himself is family money he is spending to support your family.  It is due to the fact that he buys those other things that your paycheck can be used for the bills.  If you paid for those other things some of his paycheck would go to bills. 

Quoting Anonymous:

He only pays the electric bill

Quoting countrygirlkat:

The money he was making was going to pay other bills and such though so that your paycheck could go toward the house so even if it came from your private account it is joint property because you both contributed to making money to help pay bills. 

Quoting Anonymous:

"We" bought the house one month before the wedding. His names on the title but all payments, taxes, insurance, closing costs, ect came out of my private checking.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wrong. In most states it doesn't matter! My husbands exs wife's name wasn't on shit and she got half.

If it was bought durning the marriage in most states it's half for him half for her. Titles don't mean shit

Quoting Anonymous:

But if his name is not on the title to the house he has no rights to it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Legally the house the car is all half his in most states. Does not matter who paid for it. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)