Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Consequences for unpaid child support?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Should there be more consequences?

Options:

prison time sounds good

other- explain

No consequences- they'll work and pay when they want

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 16

View Results

Back story:

Had a baby at 17. Bio-dad ditched me during the pregnancy and never showed up for court to determine child support. I was granted $220. per month for my son. Well, I don't know how much he's paid me in the past 12 years, but I can tell you he owes me about $22,000.

Should there be more extreme consequences for unpaid child support? I'm just curious. I don't need anything from him, but it would have been nice throughout the years, I wouldn't have had to struggle so badly. Even though $220 isn't a lot, it would have helped.

I think men should honestly have to go to prison once they hit a certain amount of unpaid cs and work while incarcerated. Every dime, up to the amount court ordered, should go straight to his child then. IDK, say once they hit $5000? $3000? Make them do a year's time, working FT while there. Then let them out and see if they change their mind about working and paying.

The schlep doesn't work! Or he'll find jobs where he can get paid under the table. Nice guy.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clp0930
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM

They can suspend his license, void his passport, sieze his bank account/tax returns, and I think some states do issue warrants for high amounts. Pursue it mercilessly.

Also in some states if arrested they don't get out of jail until the amount is paid in FULL.

iwanabemomie
by Chunk on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM
My dad is doing 5 years EXTRA for 5 kids,me being one of them.he was already in prison for another charge but got 5 more years because his child support back pay went into the thousands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1likeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I think if they have an ability to pay child support and they are simply refusing to it should be felony neglect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM
In my state they can have their drivers license taken away, business licenses etc taken away, they can also go to jail (not prison, prison is usually for people serving more than 2 years), but many don't go to jail because of overcrowding.
jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Currently dealing with this myself..my ex is $6,600 behind....and his license has been suspened as part of the enforcement process.  The next step is to take him to court for contempt...but I have to wait another week or so before I can do that, because the suspension happened less than thirty days ago.  Putting him in jail does nothing for me.  At the end of the day, I will definitely not get anything if he is in jail....I'm hoping its a motivator though..pay up or get locked up...smh..nothing else seems to be working.

ittybit2012
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM
This is what Texas does.

Quoting clp0930:

They can suspend his license, void his passport, sieze his bank account/tax returns, and I think some states do issue warrants for high amounts. Pursue it mercilessly.

Also in some states if arrested they don't get out of jail until the amount is paid in FULL.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I just talked to the cs enforcement woman and she told me she checks on him every less than 100 days and right now he's receiving PA- he is with a girl and they had a baby last year. She told me they can't get anything from him right now or throw him in jail. I think it's BS.

Quoting clp0930:

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I don't understand how going to prison will help these guys. *shrug* Call your local CSE office and see if you can get him for contempt of court, because that's exactly what it is.

Aeonix
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I think if he doesn't want to be a dad he should have the right to refuse parental rights and not be held liable for child support. Ido not think jail is the answer.
Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The prisons are full now! I can only imagine how full they would be if they put someone in prison for past due child support!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)