Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wwyd send her to school or keep her home?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
The kiddo is 7 and last Thursday she got the flu mist and since then she's had a low grade fever, anywhere between 101-102 that comes down with Tylenol and Advil.

She went to the doctor Monday and she said it sounds like a virus and she drew blood to check for the flu and said its not that.

She has missed 3 days of school so far and her only symptom is the fever, she has a temp of 101 about an hour ago before I gave her Tylenol.

Again no other symptoms besides the fever so would you keep her home a 4th day or would you send her to school tomorrow?

She's eating and acting normal though thanks to the meds she is sleeping more than usual.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

If she feels fine and has nothing contagious, yes I would send her. Make sure she takes tylenol to keep the fever down and all though.

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I don't think you can send a child to school if their temperature is over 100.4. Anything over that is considered fever. If you have a fever, you could be contagious. I would not send my child to school.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

The school has standards that they need to be fever free for I think 24-48 hours.   You should have gotten their policies at the beginning of the year.

They have those standards in place to help reduce the spread of issues like this... it obviously can't prevent everything, but yes, you should keep her home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM
It's just that she's already missed 3 days, if I keep her home tomorrow that's 4 days and if she has a fever tomorrow does that mean she can't go Friday as well?

Quoting brandydesiree:

I don't think you can send a child to school if their temperature is over 100.4. Anything over that is considered fever. If you have a fever, you could be contagious. I would not send my child to school.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Flip it around, if another child had a fever, would you appreciate your child being exposed on purpose?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Take her back to the dr why would she have fever for that many days?did you check to see it that mist had a fever as a side effect?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My sd had the same thing it was the flu.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM
If the kid went to the doctor and the doctor says they are ok to go to school then I wouldn't be upset.

Like I said I'm just worried about all the time she's missing.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Flip it around, if another child had a fever, would you appreciate your child being exposed on purpose?

JC2223
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM

A majority of schools have a policy that states a child can not return to school until they are fever free for 24 hours without meds. A fever under 102 does not need to be treated with medication. The body naturally raises its temp to kill any virus or bacteria, so let the fever do its job. Give her meds at bedtime to help her sleep comfortably but as long as it's 102 or lower, let it run during the day. Keep her hydrated and home until the fever goes away. The flu mist vaccine is a live virus, a weakened strain but still live so her body is probably reacting to that. I hope she feels better soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM
They drew blood and checked for the flu and said it wasn't that, she just has some virus.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sd had the same thing it was the flu.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured