Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They asked for specific gift cards at Christmas now the teachers

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM
  • 58 Replies
Are asking for specific gift cards for their birthdays.

And the same teachers couldn't be bothered to write thank you notes for the gift we did give them at Christmas.

I'm fed up with this gimmie mentality

EDIT: the school is a Mother's Day out program and the kiddo is 3. There are 15 kids in the class and he goes 2 days a week for 5 hours a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

You're not required to buy them gifts.  I've never bought a teacher a bd gift.

I'd rather buy them something they specifically need, rather than something they won't use.

Also, sometimes the thank you cards are given to my children which get shoved in their desk or a random pocket in their backpack.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:40 PM

nope.  I don't do teacher birthdays.  I don't even KNOW when they are and don't need to.

and as for telling people what to buy me?  yeah.... not cool.  probably worth a call to the principal.  it's inappropriate.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM
These are 3 year olds and the backpack contains only a folder and his lunch box and his teachers and I are the ones that empty it. They didn't write thank you notes.

I know I'm not required to buy the gifts but I find it extremely rude to ask for gift cards; there are 3 teachers so 6 gift cards in the span of 2 months? Yeah that's greed.

Quoting lwalker270:

You're not required to buy them gifts.  I've never bought a teacher a bd gift.

I'd rather buy them something they specifically need, rather than something they won't use.

Also, sometimes the thank you cards are given to my children which get shoved in their desk or a random pocket in their backpack.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Those teachers would not get anything from me if that were the case. No one should be expected to buy them birthday gifts, there is no reason to even know when it is...

Join the new Beautiful Creatures group!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/beautifulcreatures

aiyess
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
What! Unless I know the teacher outside of school and have a friendship apart from the school setting I will not be giving them a birthday gift.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Wow. Our teachers are the total opposite. They ask for nothing except classroom needs and give gifts to every single one of their students for Christmas and end of the year. I've gotten thank you cards for every little gift I've given, and notes thanking me for class donations. I'd say that's the right way to go, as I'd likely be less inclined to give if they were snarky about it. As it is, I try to donate every time they need anything.

keversole
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I wouldn't give them anything just because they had the nerve to expect they're kids parents to get them exactly what they asked for. That's just plain greedy.

LectioDivina
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Birthdays??

Who ever heard of giving a teacher a requested birthday gift...that's crazy talk.

Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

wow. birthday gifts? no

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

They're asking for stuff for their birthdays?! Are you f*cking kidding me? Wowwww....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)