Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Daycare for Socialization?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

DD is 22 months old.  She's an only child and has no relatives within 15 years of her age (cousins, etc.).  We found a highly recommended daycare right down the street that we're contemplating enrolling her in for two half days a week, for socialization purposes (I'm a SAHM).  Has anyone here done something similar?  What kind of results did you have?

ETA: We have story hour once a week and a mom's group, but that's only a couple total hours per week.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Both my girls attended preschool primarily for socialization

kiralyn
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM
At that age I'd just go to mommy and me type play places, the park, indoor play places at the mall and what not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Quoting kiralyn:

At that age I'd just go to mommy and me type play places, the park, indoor play places at the mall and what not.

We do that stuff now, but it doesn't seem to be enough.  She's a poor sharer and fairly aloof.

aprilz1225
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM

YES! i have been a SAHM since my son was born. Tried and mc several times. I spent soo much time with him that it was not good for us (him/me) he cried constanly if i left a room even to Pee. so i placed him in day care 1/2 days 2-3 days a week. to at least get some house work done. it was only an hour and a half but, with no sibs and family on the other half of the U.S. it was a God send.  had fantastic results with him and me. he was 9 or 10 months. he need to interact with other children his age and other ppl other than mom and dad.  he is now 7!

Lydia-Marie
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM
This is what i plan to do for my kids. They are 14 months and 2 years. They both have rather severe separation anxiety and I want to ease them into not being with me slowly. I plan to enroll my dd in preschool in the fall, she will be 3. They both get along with others but I'm worried that dd will freak when going to school. It will also give you some time for yourself, and that's always healthy. I think one or two half days is a good idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

While socialization is important, I think that daycare is the worst form of socialization. Why not do some mommy and me classes, playdates, tumbling, and time spent at the park. Children need experiences with people of all ages, not 8-10 other children their exact same age in a regimented setting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, that is because she is almost 2. Very normal behavior. Day care won't fix that. In fact, it could make it worse!

My opinion, why pay money for something that you can get for free? Mommy and me and other play dates is enough, especially at that age :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kiralyn:

We do that stuff now, but it doesn't seem to be enough.  She's a poor sharer and fairly aloof.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Quoting mommyrustina:

While socialization is important, I think that daycare is the worst form of socialization. Why not do some mommy and me classes, playdates, tumbling, and time spent at the park. Children need experiences with people of all ages, not 8-10 other children their exact same age in a regimented setting.

We do those things, too.

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I enrolled my children in Montessori between 2.5-3 years old. I loved what they learned, how they developed a variety of skills and had fun with kids their age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I don't believe daycare/preschool is needed for socialization. When my daughter was home with me she socialized everyday through- the library, being out in the community, going to the children's museum, theatre, dance, parks, being around family and friends. If you decide to enroll your child into a program do it for the curriculum. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)