Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I couldn't be a parent to an autistic child.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 176 Replies
I'm pregnant and I have been having fear of this lately. I have two perfect and healthy babies but the thought of having a "special child" scares me. I can also admit I am not strong enough to parent a child with needs, and if it turns out that I end up having an autistic child I will choose to put him or her up for adoption. How soon could I find out if the baby is special needs?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I couldn't either. I get flustered and stressed way too easily.
lilfishbigocean
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM
9 moms liked this

Are you serious?

Idk about others, but to me - having an autistic child has made me a much more patient, caring person. I wouldn't change it for the world. She is who she is, and I love that about her.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM
6 moms liked this

seriously hoping you are a troll!

Frankly you shouldnt be having children at all!

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not the ideal situation I would want.

You won't know from birth that the child is autistic, OP. Many children aren't diagnosed for years, school age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxyysf
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I would love my child either way.

But i got the test done anyway just incase so i could prepair my self and my boyfriend. I got mine done at 17 weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm pregnant and I have been having fear of this lately. I have two perfect and healthy babies but the thought of having a "special child" scares me. I can also admit I am not strong enough to parent a child with needs, and if it turns out that I end up having an autistic child I will choose to put him or her up for adoption. How soon could I find out if the baby is special needs?

So what you're saying is that after having the kid in your house for a minimum of two years, if they had autism, you would send them away?

Two is about the time most parents begin realizing something is wrong.
Question: If anything were to happen to your "perfect" babies, a fall or car accident for example-

Would you be one of those moms that abandons them in hospital?

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

uhmmmm

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Same here! I am less judgemental of others as well

They are tough but man are they worth it! 

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

Are you serious?

Idk about others, but to me - having an autistic child has made me a much more patient, caring person. I wouldn't change it for the world. She is who she is, and I love that about her.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You wouldn't know for sure if there's a problem with the child until they're about 2.  There would be some subtle clues in a mild case between 6 and 18 months, but until they're 2, you won't know for sure.

Should have stopped at 2 kids and not pressed your luck.  Thank God the two you have are healthy and alive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)