Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What are the duties of a SAHM?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm married with a 4 month old son. I'm a SAHM and my husband works two jobs. I hate to cook, but the house is clean and clothes are ironed. I'm exhausted from taking care of my baby once my hubby is home and my sex drive is low! He said I need to grow up and handle my responsibilities. I'm so not use to cooking my mom cooks and I will bring food home or we both eat there. My mother said he needs to have a home cooked meal everyday since I'm home. It's a lot with a baby and I'm tired. What do you SAHM do? Are you exhausted, do you cook, how often are you having sex and if so are you intimate when the baby is awake? I don't like having sex or making love if the baby is up is that wrong?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
madmueller
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a new mom they need to leave you be! I bet they are not up at the wee hours like you are either are they?

Make simple easy meals that you can do from a packet - tacos, sloppy joes, stew, chili even chicken! You can even make ribs in the oven that take 4 hrs to cook throw baked or sweet potatoes in the oven and a frozen veggie and you are AWESOME!

Make spaghetti from a jar, get a lasagne from the freezer section in the grocery store...voila you now have 7 days of food that will take minutes but you will look like a rock star :)   Not a lot of chopping to do and the good thing is you throw it in the pot and walk away...let him clean up your mess!

Men are stupid, they don't care if you took 1 hr or 5 to make supper - all they care about is two things - dinner and sex!  You are not doing anything wrong, just know that you can show them that you can do it!  Good luck and congrats on your new baby

wissotamum
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I love this response!

To the OP, the adjustment is super easy for some women and really hard for others.  It's fine.  Maybe you'll rock at the teenage years.  I am loving my gradeschoolers.  They have a routine, I get a bit of down time (I work part time), I've learned how to cook, the house stays clean for more than a couple of minutes, and my kids haven't become horrible teenagers yet.

Quoting Anonymous:

At 4 months I wasn't doing much of anything other than looking after the baby. Taking a shower was a big deal. 8 years later Im a super star :) It just takes time to adjust for some of us.

jellybeanjean
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I'm exahusted some days more than others. I cook, clean, do laundry, run errands, pay bills, do minor house repairs and of course take care of baby. Some days I want sex, some days I want sleep. Don't stress yourself, just do what you can and make sure you find something to make you happy. As for sex with the baby up, yeah we only ever did it when DD was sleeping. You find ways to cor-ordinate it =) It's not that romantic and steamy when sex is "scheduled", but you make the best of it.

Newmom.com12
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with your husband. I was doing everything with a newborn and it wasn't that hard at all. Yes I was tired but I did what I had to do. We still had sex pretty much everyday and we still do 7 years later. Only when the baby was asleep when he was small. I love to cook so cooking is no big deal to me. Your mom can't cook for you forever. You have your own family now and you need to step up and act like a wife and mom which you already are. How old are you? You seem young.

JenieceMojica
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I am 29 and we have 3 kids... my 2 oldest have autism and I am disabled as well. I do it all when hubby is at work and I homeschool our kids. I workout everyday and try to stay as healthy as possible to prolong my illness as long as possible. Sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in the day but I love it lol
I know.... I am crazy lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

1) CROCKPOT 2) Your husband (as well as mine) needs to grow up ! When you make sex robotic and mechanical...like at 9 p.m. every night, it sure as hell becomes boring. You're not alone in this issue. I have no real solution to it. Sorry.

cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM
As a stay at home, i cook 2 meals a day, breakfast is normally cereal unless it is sunday. i clean, i do laundry, i take care of the kids while df is at work, and on top of all of that i baby sit 6 others all under the age of 4. my oldest is in school. you just need to get on a schedual with your son. DONT hold him all the time lol. he has to lear independance too. he can play on the floor while you put clothes in the washer, or sit in the bumbo at watch educational cartoons or listen to music with you while you fold laundy or cook dinner. at that age mine were sitting up in the high chair eating puffs while i cooked or vacumes or picked up from breakfats or lunch. they were in the swing when i would clean the bathroom or something like that. you still have to find time in between dealing with ds. feed him, then maybe play for a few mins and then put him down for a nap. make sure you have noise around him alot! my mom used to vacume right under my crib when i was sleeping and i never woke up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I have two kids in school, a one year-old, and a newborn....and I still make dinner every night. I would leave the house a bit less clean in order to get a good meal on the table. But then again, I'm cooking for a whole herd, and not just the two of us adults. I don't see what the problem is with him eating your mom's food. Maybe he just doesn't want to go over there? What if you had him a plate waiting when he got home? Also, fuck ironing. Take that shit to the dry cleaners. On the days they have specials you can usually get it done for a dollar a shirt. As for sex...the only way to want more sex is to have more sex.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Bless your heart ! I have one child with autism. You have your work cut out for you and then some :)

Quoting JenieceMojica:

I am 29 and we have 3 kids... my 2 oldest have autism and I am disabled as well. I do it all when hubby is at work and I homeschool our kids. I workout everyday and try to stay as healthy as possible to prolong my illness as long as possible. Sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in the day but I love it lol
I know.... I am crazy lol

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

As far as dinners go...do you have a crock pot?

Look up some prep and freeze crock pot meals.  You can prep them Sunday as the baby sleeps, put them in big freezer bags and label them.  Each day, put one in the crock pot and dinner will be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)