Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the duties of a SAHM?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm married with a 4 month old son. I'm a SAHM and my husband works two jobs. I hate to cook, but the house is clean and clothes are ironed. I'm exhausted from taking care of my baby once my hubby is home and my sex drive is low! He said I need to grow up and handle my responsibilities. I'm so not use to cooking my mom cooks and I will bring food home or we both eat there. My mother said he needs to have a home cooked meal everyday since I'm home. It's a lot with a baby and I'm tired. What do you SAHM do? Are you exhausted, do you cook, how often are you having sex and if so are you intimate when the baby is awake? I don't like having sex or making love if the baby is up is that wrong?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Replies (61-70):
starbuckmom03
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM
3 moms liked this

The crockpot and pinterest can be your friends!!  Seriously, the crockpot!  Google freezer to crockpot meals.  You do need to do some prep time on a Saturday or Sunday but then you toss those bags in the freezer and take one out the night before, put it in the fridge.  Next morning, toss the ingredients in the crockpot, put on low and by the end of the day your supper is ready save for a few sides like rice or noodles and maybe a veggie.  And your house will smell amazing and your dh will love ya for it!!

Also, quick meals like tator tot casserole, spaghetti, tuna noodle casserole, etc are great for quick nights.  Also, keep one night for an easy night.  I have figured out that by Wednesday, I need an easy night.  I have reserved that night for sandwiches, salads, or a soup that is in the crockpot.  Also, keep ingredients on hand for these quick meals so you can make a meal at the drop of a hat.

Menu plan.  Pick a day, menu plan.  Make your gorcery list. Go shopping. 

As for your other responsibilities like keeping the house clean, pick one day a week for one room.  Ex: Living room on Mondays.  On monday, take a few minutes to remove what doesn't belong.  Toss those things in a basket.  Next put things away that need to be.  Vacuum, dust, wipe down windows (favorite cleaner and newspaper, seriously works great!), put books away.  Keep a basket in the corner for the toys.  As your little one gets older, he can help toss his toys int he basket.  Now, take that first basket with unwanted items, and put them away in their appropirate spots.

Laundry: Put one load in a day as soon as you are up.  Make sure you switch to the dryer asap.  Fold and put away.  What helps me to put away asap is to use the kitchen table and fold the clothes there.  That way, the clothes have to be put away if I want to use the table for meals!

If your little one is having a hard day, find a good baby carrier like a sling or ergo and babywear your ds while you clean.

You are going to have hard days.  Take one day at a time. 

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

psh, baby(both) at 4 months was easy. Feed it, it poops, it sleeps. When it sleeps I shower, when it sleeps I throw something in the oven/crockpot/pot on stove, whent it sleeps I take the 2 seconds to throw laundry in the wash.

I became a stay at home mom at 19. My ONLY issue was cooking but I still tried, there was always food when DH came home at 6pm(or it was almost done). Start simple. Ive been working for the last year, have 2 kids and am pregnant and I still manage to do dishes, laundry, bake, run errands, pay bills, and cook on my nights off.(DH does help but I help him too). 

Like I told my DH. No one taught me how to take care of kids and a house hold BUT I made it a point to learn and figure it out since it was MY responsibility to take care of for the most part.

bnsellis
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Me too.

Quoting babie113:

Everything but earn money ...but I have to my dh is a truck driver hardly home.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Newmom.com12
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I'm learning it was me for a while and I'm learning a lot when it was just me and my husband we ate out I guess he's tired of that now. i want my family and I'm going to do what I have to! I'm a brat who needs to grow up these are his words!!! Being a wife and a mother is a different world  with rewards

JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I just sit in my ass all day and leave the vacuum out plugged in so when dh comes home I can hop off the couch and turn on the vacuum.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Do you have a crockpot? I use one alot and it was a lifesaver when DS was an infant. I get alot of my recipes off Pinterest.

I would wear him while doing some lighter chores, like sweeping or mopping. The heavier chores I would wait until he was napping. Now that he is almost 2, I try to wake up earlier than him so I can get some stuff done before he gets up for the day and I do deep cleans on DH's off days (he gets 3 days off a week). We have sex one-two times a week normally, but we both have been sick this past week. I get plenty of sleep. Just because I am a sahm doesn't mean DH is completely chore free. He understands DS comes first and sometimes I'm not able to do it all in one day. I try not to ask him for help that much though.

Newmom.com12
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

No I don't have a crock pot but after these comments I'm going to purchase one! 

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM

all cleaning, cooking

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I cook, clean, take care of THREE active, mobile kids(5, 4, and 16.5 months. I cook food from scratch for 6 people, 3 meals a day. I nurse my youngest 12 times a day(3-4 at night.)

I'm up at 7 am every day. Monday-Thursday I get my 4 year old ready for school and on the bus at 7:45. I nurse my toddler at 8 am then usually get my 5 year old dressed. Make breakfast at 8:30am. Clean up at 9:30am. 10am nurse again. Play time with kiddos until 11:30am on nonschool days I make lunch. Get 5 year old ready for school at 11:30am. Get 4 year old off bus at 11:45am. 5 year olds bus comes at 12:20. Nurse again. Nap for 4 year old at 1pm. Nurse at 2 baby naps on me. 3pm naps over. Get oldest off bus around 3:30pm. Snack time. Play time until 5pm when I start dinner or finish dinner if something was in the crockpot all day. Nurse. Dinner between 5:30-6. Bed time for older boys between 7-8pm, nurse. Bedtime for me and baby at 10. Repeat.

We have sex rarely if kids are awake. Sometimes we sneak off for 10 minutes quickies when the kids are distracted. We have sex when he's home so 3 days a week sometimes less.

If I had one kid it would be easy.

Quoting Newmom.com12:

I'm married with a 4 month old son. I'm a SAHM and my husband works two jobs. I hate to cook, but the house is clean and clothes are ironed. I'm exhausted from taking care of my baby once my hubby is home and my sex drive is low! He said I need to grow up and handle my responsibilities. I'm so not use to cooking my mom cooks and I will bring food home or we both eat there. My mother said he needs to have a home cooked meal everyday since I'm home. It's a lot with a baby and I'm tired. What do you SAHM do? Are you exhausted, do you cook, how often are you having sex and if so are you intimate when the baby is awake? I don't like having sex or making love if the baby is up is that wrong?

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM

My SAHD (DH!) does 90% of the cooking and household chores, including a home cooked meal seven days a week!  We don't have sex when the baby is awake (15 months old).  She needs monitored when awake!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured