Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are there any medical professionals here? I need an answer.

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 2 Replies

A friend of mine is being investigated for child abuse. Her son will be 1 in March, and he is by no means a healthy child. He was diagnosed with Guillain–BarrĂ© syndrome when he was very small. To get to the point, he was found to have a broken arm that seemingly appeared out of nowhere. She noted the when a relative stopped by, he would not calm down and screamed the whole time she was holding him, but this isn't uncommon (he hates other people). When she was undressing him, he screamed when she touched his arm, and she could not get him to calm down. Upon further inspection, she discovered that his arm was swollen and he would not use his hand. Due to the pending investigation, she is not being given very much information. She told me that the doctor had said that the bones shifted. Is this of any significance? Are they thinking that the injury had been there for a while? Does the bone shifting suggest the manner in which it was broken?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Xrays can tell a bunch about the mechanism of injury. (A twisted arm that causes a fx vs a fx from blunt force vs an impacted fx from a fall etc.) if the story of how the child got the fx and what the evidence shows does not match as mandated reports the physician must call child protective services to investigate. Little children's bones are very flexible and many arent fused so it takes a serious injury or illness to cause fx. Your friend has some explaining to do.. (Or whomever is in contact with the child)
5PointedHuman
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Thank you. I thought so. The arm was not twisted or at an odd angle at all. I believe his older sister could have been roughhousing with him again. She is 15 months older, and very, very rough. I was told one story in which the baby got his eye gouged.

Quoting Anonymous:

Xrays can tell a bunch about the mechanism of injury. (A twisted arm that causes a fx vs a fx from blunt force vs an impacted fx from a fall etc.) if the story of how the child got the fx and what the evidence shows does not match as mandated reports the physician must call child protective services to investigate. Little children's bones are very flexible and many arent fused so it takes a serious injury or illness to cause fx. Your friend has some explaining to do.. (Or whomever is in contact with the child)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)