Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Living on One Income?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 91 Replies

Poll

Question: Living on one income?

Options:

Yes - my own

Yes - my partners

No - both incomes

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 172

View Results

Okay, so this is kind of a first for me; being reliant on my partner. All my life I've been independant in the financial area of things, this is the first time in my life that I will be relying on my partners wage.

He makes $1300 a week, a small portion of that goes to his car and credit card repayments each month. Because I've always been indepentant, I find it really hard to ask for things. He's trying to encourage me to ask when I want or need something, but I'm not sure how to. I know that he will normally say yes, but I guess I fear the rejection if it comes?

I mean I don't have to worry about food, or anything like that. And we just bought a bed that cost $2799 (well worth it believe me!). I'm going to see if I have the guts to ask for something when he gets home from work, there is this sexy playboy pool cue my friend is selling for $70, and I'm going to see if he will buy it for me.

I was just wondering though, for those of you who live off your partners wage; how do you do it? Do you only ask for stuff when you need it, or are you given and allowance?

Share your stories please!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blackcat1515
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

he puts his money in my account and I do the bills and if we need something we ask each other to see if it is somthing we need or not

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't have "an allowance" I'm in charge of the bills and we share a bank account, I can use my card whenever I need/have to. and I of course know when/if we can spend money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Does he do it that way so you don't feel left out, or because he doesn't have the time to do bills?

I can understand discussing if you need it or not.

Quoting blackcat1515:

he puts his money in my account and I do the bills and if we need something we ask each other to see if it is somthing we need or not

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

That sounds like a reasonable system; so you have like a joint accoutn type thing?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have "an allowance" I'm in charge of the bills and we share a bank account, I can use my card whenever I need/have to. and I of course know when/if we can spend money.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't have to ask. If I want it, I get it. If it is a higher ticket item, I will talk to him about it first, just to see if he thinks it is something I should wait on, but I do not have to 'ask' for anything. As he says, he might make the money, but I am the one that makes the money work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM

My DH's income and then my oldest DD gets SSI.

areles
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
all i care about in this whole post is that you want a pool cue. you shoot?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM
This, only his income.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I can understand that working I suppose. I don't mind the asking system though, it means it causes a discussion about whether I need it, and lets face it; sometimes no matter how much we want something; it's just not practical to have it, so I don't mind 'asking'.

Glad it works for you though!

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I don't have to ask. If I want it, I get it. If it is a higher ticket item, I will talk to him about it first, just to see if he thinks it is something I should wait on, but I do not have to 'ask' for anything. As he says, he might make the money, but I am the one that makes the money work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Yes, yes I do :)

Quoting areles:

all i care about in this whole post is that you want a pool cue. you shoot?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)