Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm black, my DH is black, and our children are black

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yea, it sounds just as pointless and stupid when you mothers of bi-racial/multi-racial children do it.

Why the hell do parents of mixed kids feel the need to constantly display their children as if they are in possession of some rare life form? Who the hell cares that you have mixed kids?! Why must we play "guess which race my kid is" games with you?! Why must the first words that come out your mouth when someone compliments your kid be "thanks, she's mixed with..."

When someone compliments my child, I don't respond with "thanks! She's black! "

We get it, you have mixed children... No one cares.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (361-370):
hismommy2010
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Why does that upset you so much?

I don't display my child, nor do I post pictures and say what race do you think my kid is. I don't put my childs pictures on the internet at all.

However, my child IS of mixed race. The ONLY time I mention it, is when someone is beating around the bush about it. It's obvious that they are to uncomfortable to ask, so I just tell them. But that usually only happens when I'm out somewhere with just my son.

If my son is out with my husband and I, they usually just assume he is my husbands kid and I'm just the girlfriend.

momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

That's weird, I've never heard of that... And I've never said it myself...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Both side. Portuguese side too!lol. She does actually. She has his eye color, but my eye shape. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Red hair from her Scottish roots. Awesome!  Does she look a lot like her dad?

Quoting Anonymous:

she has strawberry blonde hair, fair skin and green eyes. Lol. Yes, yes she does.

Quoting Anonymous:

I  BET SHE DOES NOT LOOK WHITE.

Quoting Anonymous:

My Japanese/portuguese/hawaiian. My husband is Scottish. Our DD is white? Lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 78 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Oh God you'd shit your pants if you saw the shirts my SIL bought for my kids but I've never worn them in them...they have a chocolate and vanilla twist ice cream cone and say "I'm swirled!"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 79 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I'm a cracker and have cracker babies. kidding..but it's true

Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The funny thing is, black people do ask the questions for us. I deal with it on a daily basis so please don't tell me what I personally deal with. Yes, I view other people no matter the race as normal, but reality most mixed, biracial whatever you want to label them don't look like others and they have more striking features. 

If you look at a black person, then look at a mixed person(coloring aside) you can see a big difference. Same goes for looking at a mixed person next to a white or any other race, they don't have the same features. 

I'm snickering because I live it. I know who asks the questions for us, and that's because my family is like a skittles bag you never know what "Color" you're going to pull out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Funny, I find that it is white people who tend to bring up the question of race and coloring.  Black people tend to know that we come in an extremely wide color range.  What you see as "striking and exotic", we see as normal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most biracial people are more striking and exotic therefore adding to the unusual aspect. Same thing goes for black people and any other race.

I find that black people are the main ones to bring up a mixed child's coloring. At least that's been my experience with the people who ask about my daughter or my nieces.

I haven't met anyone who does as the op is complaining unless prompted.

Quoting Anonymous:

No.  Most biracial children do NOT have what you refer to as "unusual features."

My dh and I are both black.  Both of our daughters are asked often whether they have a white parent although there is nothing "unusual" about how either one of them looks.  I find it sad that the question comes up at all because I don't see why it should matter.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

No. They have unusual features.
A child with black textured hair that is blond, darker skin and blue eyes is unexpected and not the norm. People will typically ask if they are bi racial.

Quoting Anonymous:

No they don't. They stand out because they are diff colors than their parents or siblings or you. So you stare and wonder.

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Maybe because people wonder what nationality the kids are.

Why would that bother you so much?

Mixed children tend to have striking or unusual features.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Getting down with the swirl! LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh God you'd shit your pants if you saw the shirts my SIL bought for my kids but I've never worn them in them...they have a chocolate and vanilla twist ice cream cone and say "I'm swirled!"

2girlsYES
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Completely agree -- that's why I never even comment or guess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof2andTTC
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Hahahahahahahaha I have mixed babies and I can't stand that people ASK me what they are... I'm like well obviously I'm white,, and my husband (who's standing next to me) looks pretty black to me,, so my kids must be mexican! I don't really brag that my kids are mixed,, I really don't think it should matter... lol love the post though

Mommy of 2 girls & TTC #3 twin girls & baby dust

BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol I guess I just got an "F on my essay lol!!! ^_^ haha

Oh gosh, dammit! Now I have to tell my DH about this so I want get a spankin when I get home

(spanking) lol!

OMG I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING HAHA AAAAAAAAAAA

Quoting kamrynlily07:

Oh, and it's "than I thought".  Just trying to help :)

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

Lol I see you're slower then I though, TEACHER! BLAHHHHHH! Next time I'll make sure I'm not mobile once I'm done turning in my essay KIDDO

LMAOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ps. Since you're playing TEACHER today learn how to READ and pay attention since you failed at reading this post!

Quoting kamrynlily07:

At least I don't have a grammar problem.

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

Exactly, she's the reason this post is up smh some people just don't get it. Her comment made me burst out & tears of laughter LMAO!!!

She has to have a problem bc it really needs to be solve

Quoting Anonymous:

I just read that to my df and he said isn't she doing that right now.

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

Same thing I just said lol! I guess it went in one ear & out the other with this chick LMAO!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

This is what she's talking about. Lol!

Quoting kamrynlily07:

Hmm I have mixed children (white / Hispanic) but I don't make a huge point of it..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)