Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 year olds don't belong in booster!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Plain and simple 2 year olds belong in 5 point harnesses. There is no reason to have one in booster seat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (231-240):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Haven't seen the car seat nazi's in a while. Nice change of pace ladies!

I ff my DS at 1. Some of these people saying their 7 year olds are still in 5 point harnesses are just crazy! My 8yo sits in the regular seat now because he is well past the height/weight requirements. Next they'll want us to drop our kids off at high school in a bubble!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Its a combination of age/height/weight/maturity...they are all a factor in when a child would be able to be in a booster.

Quoting 428:

I had my 5 yr old in a booster.  Its not the age, its the height/weight.

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

I wouldnt put a 5 yr old in a booster let alone a 2 year old. A 2 year old should still be rear facing.

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Our old neighbors used to put their 2 year old in a booster because he was "a big boy." Then put him in a big boy 5-point harness. *eyeroll* And our niece has been in a backless booster since 3 and she's a tiny little thing. It is all well and good till you get in a car accident. 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM

for a child of 2, of course.  I do agree that 2 is tstill a toddler and won't sit in a booster.  But after a certain point I think some of these ladies just go above and beyond.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its a combination of age/height/weight/maturity...they are all a factor in when a child would be able to be in a booster.

Quoting 428:

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

I wouldnt put a 5 yr old in a booster let alone a 2 year old. A 2 year old should still be rear facing.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Nice I will keep that in mind.  How high is the shell?  The torso height? Does it have the 1 inch rule?

Quoting Anonymous:

The Foonf by Clek rear faces to 50 lbs.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I CLEARLY explained to you what "not fitting right" means for RFing.  No seat I know RF's to 50 pounds.  There is no answer to what seat for a 50 pound child...THAT child IMO should be harnessed.  Every step "up" in seat is a step down in safety bottom line.  

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I am perfectly calm.  I just hate when people respond without bothering to read what they are responding to.  I never said it mattered I simply attempted to answer your questions which I THOUGHT where genuine.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Calm down there woman, breathe! anyways, it doesnt matter, that child is in a booster seat and is strapped firmly to the seat with the seat belt, which locks.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I CLEARLY explained to you what "not fitting right" means for RFing.  No seat I know RF's to 50 pounds.  There is no answer to what seat for a 50 pound child...THAT child IMO should be harnessed.  Every step "up" in seat is a step down in safety bottom line.  

Quoting Anonymous:

But what does "not fitting right" mean? What is considered not fitting? Because I read the height and weight of some of the kids that are still RF and I'm like crap in my little tiny subcompact car if someone were to rear end my car hardcore my kids legs would be broken. So at 50 lbs and 50" what seat should that child be in? Should they be RF? FF?

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Anonymous:

So exactly when is a child able to actually sit I the car without a car seat or booster seat?When they can wear the seat belt properly.  that is usally 4'9And when does it become unsafe to have a child rear facing? It only becomes unsafe to RF when the child doesn't fit properly in the seat.  Seats are different so that would depend which seat you have harness straps must be at or below the shoulders and most seats have a 1 inch of shell available over the head rule At what point SHOULD you forward face? When the child no longer fits the seat properly for RF

Quoting copperked:

Senior citizens are adults who can usually decide on their own level of personal risk and maybe it's not a terrible idea for someone to come up with extra safety devices for people who have any kind of increased risk factor to choose to use. I'm never opposed to better safety features.

Quoting Anonymous:

Shouldn't senior citizens be in car seats too? They don't have great bone density, especially postmenopausal women with a condition like osteoporosis.

Quoting copperked:

In Oregon, age is also a factor because it better determines bone density (breakability) than height and weight. A child who is inches taller than peers of the same age still has the close to the same bone density and therefore is stil susceptible to the same injuries.

Quoting 428:

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM

You seem to be the one with a comprehension problem. The word OR means you can meet either of the criteria and then face forward. If it was AND then you would need to meet both.

Some states use the word OR, some use the word AND, somme use neither and are even more vauge. One simple little word can change the meaning and letter of a law in so many ways.

My state give an age or height or weight to meet when children no longer, legally, need any type oof carseat. Some states give an age AND height to meet. It's no different with infant seats and FF laws. OR/AND make a large difference.

Not all 50 US states require that an infant remain RF until both 1 year and 20 pounds.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. Yes. That law means if they hit 12 months old and still weigh less than 20lbs they must still rear face. It also means if they hit 20 pounds but are under 12 months old, they must still rear face. They must meet all of the requirements.
Your reading comprehension is lacking. Call your local fire station or non emergent police number. They will help you understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm...I think maybe you should do your research before making a blanket statement as ..."In ALL FIFTY states the may not ff, regardless of height and weight, before 12 months.  The law is 12 months old AND 20lbs.  Not either or. 

This is from safekids.com

Law Summary

Oregon’s law requires children ages 7 & under who are 4’9” or shorter to be secured with a child safety system.

Children less than 1 year of age or who weigh 20 pounds or less must be secured with a child safety system in a rear-facing position.

Children ages 7 & under who weigh 40 pounds or less must be secured with a child safety system designed for children weighing 40 pounds or less.

Children ages 7 & under who weigh more than 40 pounds and are 4’9” or less in height must be secured with a child safety system that elevates the child so that a safety belt or safety harness properly fits the child.

Montana....doesnt' get any more specific than....

Law Summary

Montana’s law requires children ages 5 & under who weigh less than 60 pounds to be restrained in a child safety restraint.

There are more...and I'll be happy to add them too....if you would like???

Quoting Anonymous:

Because when you know better, you do better.
Her choice wasn't a matter of opinion. In ALL FIFTY states the child may not ff, regardless of height and weight, before 12 months. The law is 12 months old AND 20lbs. Not either or.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but I just have to ask....what is the point in your reply....other than to try and shame someone?????   She felt she was doing what was right for her and her child....and if her child was like so many I see anymore....even at 9 months....he very well may have met the criteria in her state for a forward facing car seat.  The state I lived in when I had my oldest...the law there says....20lbs and 30 inches in height....there is no mention of age....going by that my ODD would have met the criteria for FF car seat at about 9 or 10 months of age.   Maybe instead you should have asked her what her states requirements were, or maybe even how big was LO at 9 months....but really what is the point in trying to shame someone for making a choice....other than it wasn't the choice you would have made???

Quoting Anonymous:

You should have been responsible and bought a car seat with higher weight/height limits for him. You're very lucky you weren't in an accident with him ff at that young. Google internal decapitation and then come back and say you "had to" turn him. Smdh.

Quoting meangreen18:

i put my DS in a front facing carseat when he was 9 months. bash me whatever. i had to he's a big kid.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM
They do. Its just in how its worded. Every state has a proper usage clause, meaning you must use the seat to the manufactors guidelines. And since there is no seat that allows a child to FF before the age of 1, every state is technicality 1 and 20. Some seats even have height restrictions the kid has to be before they can FF in that seat
Quoting Anonymous:

You seem to be the one with a comprehension problem. The word OR means you can meet either of the criteria and then face forward. If it was AND then you would need to meet both.

Some states use the word OR, some use the word AND, somme use neither and are even more vauge. One simple little word can change the meaning and letter of a law in so many ways.

My state give an age or height or weight to meet when children no longer, legally, need any type oof carseat. Some states give an age AND height to meet. It's no different with infant seats and FF laws. OR/AND make a large difference.

Not all 50 US states require that an infant remain RF until both 1 year and 20 pounds.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. Yes. That law means if they hit 12 months old and still weigh less than 20lbs they must still rear face. It also means if they hit 20 pounds but are under 12 months old, they must still rear face. They must meet all of the requirements.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. Call your local fire station or non emergent police number. They will help you understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm...I think maybe you should do your research before making a blanket statement as ..."In ALL FIFTY states the may not ff, regardless of height and weight, before 12 months.  The law is 12 months old AND 20lbs.  Not either or. 

This is from safekids.com

Law Summary

Oregon’s law requires children ages 7 & under who are 4’9” or shorter to be secured with a child safety system.

Children less than 1 year of age or who weigh 20 pounds or less must be secured with a child safety system in a rear-facing position.

Children ages 7 & under who weigh 40 pounds or less must be secured with a child safety system designed for children weighing 40 pounds or less.

Children ages 7 & under who weigh more than 40 pounds and are 4’9” or less in height must be secured with a child safety system that elevates the child so that a safety belt or safety harness properly fits the child.

Montana....doesnt' get any more specific than....

Law Summary

Montana’s law requires children ages 5 & under who weigh less than 60 pounds to be restrained in a child safety restraint.

There are more...and I'll be happy to add them too....if you would like???

Quoting Anonymous:

Because when you know better, you do better.
Her choice wasn't a matter of opinion. In ALL FIFTY states the child may not ff, regardless of height and weight, before 12 months. The law is 12 months old AND 20lbs. Not either or.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but I just have to ask....what is the point in your reply....other than to try and shame someone?????   She felt she was doing what was right for her and her child....and if her child was like so many I see anymore....even at 9 months....he very well may have met the criteria in her state for a forward facing car seat.  The state I lived in when I had my oldest...the law there says....20lbs and 30 inches in height....there is no mention of age....going by that my ODD would have met the criteria for FF car seat at about 9 or 10 months of age.   Maybe instead you should have asked her what her states requirements were, or maybe even how big was LO at 9 months....but really what is the point in trying to shame someone for making a choice....other than it wasn't the choice you would have made???

Quoting Anonymous:

You should have been responsible and bought a car seat with higher weight/height limits for him. You're very lucky you weren't in an accident with him ff at that young. Google internal decapitation and then come back and say you "had to" turn him. Smdh.

Quoting meangreen18:

i put my DS in a front facing carseat when he was 9 months. bash me whatever. i had to he's a big kid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Child Car Seat Laws Kids under four must ride in a federally-approved car seat or booster. Kids between four and eight must ride in a booster if they have outgrown a safety seat. Kids between eight and 18 must use a seat belt. If you're in the market for one, you can shop online for a child car seat at any time. When ordering, be sure the car seat matches your child's height, weight and age.

I copied and pasted the above from Pennsylvania's DMV site. For everyone saying these moms who don't ERF or use a booster before 4 are breaking the law they aren't in my state.
kayla4507
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I so agree! I had a friend who put her son in a booster when he was two. I asked her why in the world she would put him in a booster so young when he shouldnt be and she said... because it was easier and made him happier. I may have been a little harsh in my reply of, well he wont be happy when you get in a wreck. I couldnt of even imagined putting my child in a booster that young. He JUST now moved to a booster and hell be 6 in April. The only reason hes not in a 5 point still is because his car seat didnt fit right in my truck, which i switched to when my car died. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)