Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 year olds don't belong in booster!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Plain and simple 2 year olds belong in 5 point harnesses. There is no reason to have one in booster seat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (391-395):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM
That is totally different. And in some cases, no I wouldn't do anything. I played in the street as a kid. If a kid was playing in traffic then I would do something. A kid using an incorrect car seat is hardly that serious.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow that's a messed up thing to say. If you see a child standing in the middle of the road, are you just going to stand there? I certainly hope not.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

How about because they are NOT your kids. Mind your business. Pay attention to your own kids if you are such a good mother

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Why do you care so much?

Why would any good mother NOT care about the safety of other children?!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Channell07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My almost 5yo is still in a 5pt harness and probably will be until he is 6! He's a large child.. Already the height of many 6 year olds but that's why I invested in a good seat

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM

You have an agenda.. I get it but do not useSweden's stats as they are skewed...

Actually Sweden started to push for better safety seats for their children. They, by law, rear face until 3-4 years of age. Forward face in a harness after that. Their death rate for children in car accidents is about 9 children a year. In the US.. 700 kids are injuried in motor vehicle accidents a day... 2,000 of them die a year.

Sweden's population is 9.5 million, the US has over 300 million. By using population as a guide, then those in Sweden are in fact no safer than we are in the USA. So that argument is very unpersuasive.

I understand the force of crashes, I am well versed in the information you are pushing, I though also know that being that the stats of the country that has made it law and ours that has not, shows no difference in the safety of the children.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

don't you dare state that I do not give a shit... The fact that you would assume that a parent, let alone a mother, would be so callous about their child's safety is appalling.You're the one that thinks it's nutty, not me..obviously you are too callous about your child's safety!

Just because they make a product to accommodate a larger/older child does not mean it is necessary.Actually, yes, some of these things are necessary legally!  However, let's put it this way.. it's like a helmet, designed for safety.. you want to strap your kid to the back of your car and let them hold on with a rope with no helmet.. and hope they don't crash..well.. that's on you!  BUT.. if you want to let them ride around with a helmet like they are suppose to in safe area (not holding onto a rope attached to a car).. then you are at least acting like a responsible adult who cares about their child.

They make diapers for 6 year old, they make high back booster (non 5 pt harness) for children as small as 30lbs. Common sense must dictate.Common sense must allude you if you believe a diaper is in anyway comparable to a child's safety in a car!

A child at 5/6 should (unless below average weight/height) should be perfectly okin a non 5pt harness seat. Oh and you pointed out that they make 5 pt that holds a child to 70 pounds, I am sure that they manufacturer is thinking of all the fat kids there are now, and not of my 9yo niece who weighs only 57 pounds to still be in the seat.Actually Sweden started to push for better safety seats for their children. They, by law, rear face until 3-4 years of age. Forward face in a harness after that.  Their death rate for children in car accidents is about 9 children a year. In the US.. 700 kids are injuried in motor vehicle accidents a day... 2,000 of them die a year. 

Not to mention you mothers who are straping their 1st, 2nd and up children in 5py harnesses are the ones pissing us other moms off in the car line at the school...(god I hope you see the sarcasm)

Really don't give a shit for your "sarcasm".. only further shows ignorance. 

Cars ARE safer now, even with higher speed limits and not being as heavy. They have reenfored zones that prevent them from collapsing, so on and so forth.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that!  You clearly don't understand much about physics though do you.. You do realize that force of gravity alone in a crash is far more deadly to a child, than how well the framing holds up??? Which is why it's important to keep them straped in properly!!

Watch the videos again. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

The Importance of a 5 point harness car seat from Laura Bower on Vimeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ (if above video doesn't work)

If they are 5 and older, they make PLENTY of car seats with 5 point harnesses to accomidate them.

http://www.target.com/c/convertible-car-seats-baby/-/N-5q0ex#?lnk=Utility_CarSt_0124_X0Y2W4|X0Y2W4&intc=754568|null

one of many on the market that harness up to 70lbs!

The law is 40lbs and 4 years old MINIMUM before they go into a booster btw..

There is a difference between being careless and not giving a shit (you).. and caring about their safety!

This isn't about coodling them.. in fact, what you are suggesting is neglectful!

Don't continue to be stupid! Do the research, and don't let your child become a statistic like these children. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Having a kindergarten aged child still in a 5 point harness is absolutely nuts... You moms think you are protecting you child but you are being overly protective. Cars are so much more safer than they were even 5 years ago. So let your kid grow up... and stop coddling them. If they are 5 or older, they are too big for a 5 point harness. I have a 3 year old the is tall for her age, and about 2 lbs from the 40lbs mark she will be in a high back booster by the summer.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Redo your math.. 1 in a million is not the same as 1 in ever 150,000. Your math skills are what are not persuasive dear. 

And your "stats".. back them up. I call Bullshit BTW. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You have an agenda.. I get it but do not useSweden's stats as they are skewed...

Actually Sweden started to push for better safety seats for their children. They, by law, rear face until 3-4 years of age. Forward face in a harness after that. Their death rate for children in car accidents is about 9 children a year. In the US.. 700 kids are injuried in motor vehicle accidents a day... 2,000 of them die a year.

Sweden's population is 9.5 million, the US has over 300 million. By using population as a guide, then those in Sweden are in fact no safer than we are in the USA. So that argument is very unpersuasive.

I understand the force of crashes, I am well versed in the information you are pushing, I though also know that being that the stats of the country that has made it law and ours that has not, shows no difference in the safety of the children.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

don't you dare state that I do not give a shit... The fact that you would assume that a parent, let alone a mother, would be so callous about their child's safety is appalling.You're the one that thinks it's nutty, not me..obviously you are too callous about your child's safety!

Just because they make a product to accommodate a larger/older child does not mean it is necessary.Actually, yes, some of these things are necessary legally!  However, let's put it this way.. it's like a helmet, designed for safety.. you want to strap your kid to the back of your car and let them hold on with a rope with no helmet.. and hope they don't crash..well.. that's on you!  BUT.. if you want to let them ride around with a helmet like they are suppose to in safe area (not holding onto a rope attached to a car).. then you are at least acting like a responsible adult who cares about their child.

They make diapers for 6 year old, they make high back booster (non 5 pt harness) for children as small as 30lbs. Common sense must dictate.Common sense must allude you if you believe a diaper is in anyway comparable to a child's safety in a car!

A child at 5/6 should (unless below average weight/height) should be perfectly okin a non 5pt harness seat. Oh and you pointed out that they make 5 pt that holds a child to 70 pounds, I am sure that they manufacturer is thinking of all the fat kids there are now, and not of my 9yo niece who weighs only 57 pounds to still be in the seat.Actually Sweden started to push for better safety seats for their children. They, by law, rear face until 3-4 years of age. Forward face in a harness after that.  Their death rate for children in car accidents is about 9 children a year. In the US.. 700 kids are injuried in motor vehicle accidents a day... 2,000 of them die a year. 

Not to mention you mothers who are straping their 1st, 2nd and up children in 5py harnesses are the ones pissing us other moms off in the car line at the school...(god I hope you see the sarcasm)

Cars ARE safer now, even with higher speed limits and not being as heavy. They have reenfored zones that prevent them from collapsing, so on and so forth.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that!  You clearly don't understand much about physics though do you.. You do realize that force of gravity alone in a crash is far more deadly to a child, than how well the framing holds up??? Which is why it's important to keep them straped in properly!!

Watch the videos again. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

If they are 5 and older, they make PLENTY of car seats with 5 point harnesses to accomidate them.

http://www.target.com/c/convertible-car-seats-baby/-/N-5q0ex#?lnk=Utility_CarSt_0124_X0Y2W4|X0Y2W4&intc=754568|null

There is a difference between being careless and not giving a shit (you).. and caring about their safety!

This isn't about coodling them.. in fact, what you are suggesting is neglectful!

Don't continue to be stupid! Do the research, and don't let your child become a statistic like these children. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Having a kindergarten aged child still in a 5 point harness is absolutely nuts... You moms think you are protecting you child but you are being overly protective. Cars are so much more safer than they were even 5 years ago. So let your kid grow up... and stop coddling them. If they are 5 or older, they are too big for a 5 point harness. I have a 3 year old the is tall for her age, and about 2 lbs from the 40lbs mark she will be in a high back booster by the summer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Quoting jessi2girls:

Redo your math.. 1 in a million is not the same as 1 in ever 150,000. Your math skills are what are not persuasive dear. 

And your "stats".. back them up. I call Bullshit BTW. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

Watch the videos again. 

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)