Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2 year olds don't belong in booster!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Plain and simple 2 year olds belong in 5 point harnesses. There is no reason to have one in booster seat.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (71-80):
ivilayla
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
No it wouldnt kill her. It'd make her a million times safer. You shouls really do some research.

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Depending on the height and weight.. my 18 month old is too tall to be rear facing her legs get scrunched and in an accident would do more damage than good, basically her legs would snap. Infants weighing less than 20 pounds should ride in a rear facing restraint system strapping into the back seat. 

That is my state law, so you are telling me my child who is 41 inches and 39 lbs should be rear facing? In an accident that would kill her. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM

HAHAH i loved that. I was worried just reading the title. 

You tricky tricky person! 

My 9 year old is still in her booster :) Fresh out of a harness last year

Punkslilncs
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I read that as well, and am starting to wonder, but her legs won't fit if we rear face her, her knees would be in her face. She is in a five point harness though. And my son who is 5 has a booster with a harness. I cringe when it is time to pick him up from school and these kids 3 year olds getting into a car with NOTHING being put in the front seat I wanna scream my rage at the teachers letting this happen. 

Quoting Anonymous:

There are no documented cases of broken legs in a rear facing crash. Broken legs is one of the most common injuries for a forward facing child

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Depending on the height and weight.. my 18 month old is too tall to be rear facing her legs get scrunched and in an accident would do more damage than good, basically her legs would snap. Infants weighing less than 20 pounds should ride in a rear facing restraint system strapping into the back seat. 

That is my state law, so you are telling me my child who is 41 inches and 39 lbs should be rear facing? In an accident that would kill her. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
My sister does this stuff. It's sad but I do t say anything since they aren't my kids. My 2, now 3 year old is in a combination high back booster. He still has one more slot height before the seat can't be used harnessing on him. So it will likely last until he's 5 before he starts using it as a belt positioning high back booster.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
yet anyone in their right mind wouldnt have a child rear facing when theyre obviously ready to be in a front facing seat. surprise! no documented injuries in that situation. my 9mo is ready for front facing carseat. she's reached the weight and hight requirements.

Quoting Anonymous:

There are no documented cases of broken legs in a rear facing crash. Broken legs is one of the most common injuries for a forward facing child

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
You can buy a seat at almost any store that will harness older kids. But I did get it online for a better price. My kids safety is not something I take lightly. Its to bad not everyone is as vigilant

Quoting 428:

Ive never seen a kid in a full car seat at 7 and I would take a second look if I did.  It's odd and overprotective.  If you have to special order the seat off the internet it's probably not the norm lol

My son doesn't even use a booster anymore @ 7yrs *gasp* oh noes!

Quoting Anonymous:

There are tons. My 7 year old was harnessed till last week. And protecting kids from the number one killer of kids from ages 1-14 isn't going overboard. Its doing our job as parents

Quoting 428:

I wouldn't even know where to find a full car seat to fit a kid 5+ specially a big kid tbh.  I think some moms can be a little overboard with the carseats.

Quoting copperked:

In Oregon, age is also a factor because it better determines bone density (breakability) than height and weight. A child who is inches taller than peers of the same age still has the close to the same bone density and therefore is stil susceptible to the same injuries.

Quoting 428:

I had my 5 yr old in a booster.  Its not the age, its the height/weight.

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

I wouldnt put a 5 yr old in a booster let alone a 2 year old. A 2 year old should still be rear facing.

copperked
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Consider what can happen to an adult wearing an over-the-shoulder seatbelt in a simple fender bender. Broken bones from the sealbelt preventing them from propelling through the windshield, bruised, punctured, or burst organs, and whiplash (which trust me, even as an adult can lead to years of excruciating pain). Now consider what would happen to a child whose bones are not nearly as dense and muscles are not nearly as strong as an adult's in that same accident. The chance of death multiplies exponentially. It's not overboard to protect your kids when you're hurtling down the highway at 55/65 mph+ in over a half a ton of mostly metal and you don't know who else is out behind the wheel and shouldn't be at the same time.

Quoting 428:

I wouldn't even know where to find a full car seat to fit a kid 5+ specially a big kid tbh.  I think some moms can be a little overboard with the carseats.

Quoting copperked:

In Oregon, age is also a factor because it better determines bone density (breakability) than height and weight. A child who is inches taller than peers of the same age still has the close to the same bone density and therefore is stil susceptible to the same injuries.

Quoting 428:

I had my 5 yr old in a booster.  Its not the age, its the height/weight.

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

I wouldnt put a 5 yr old in a booster let alone a 2 year old. A 2 year old should still be rear facing.

achapman
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i couldn't imagine putting my ss in a car seat he is 7 i told him and his 8 yr old sister that ppl do and they looked at me like i was crazy and the 7yr old said good luck getting me into one lol sorry if that makes me a bad parent but unless your 7 or 8 yr old is super short and under weight their is no need for a car seat.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Honestly i would try it, and have her sit indian style, or frog style (legs hung over the sides of the seat) and see if she can get comfratable that way. 

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I read that as well, and am starting to wonder, but her legs won't fit if we rear face her, her knees would be in her face. She is in a five point harness though. And my son who is 5 has a booster with a harness. I cringe when it is time to pick him up from school and these kids 3 year olds getting into a car with NOTHING being put in the front seat I wanna scream my rage at the teachers letting this happen. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Punkslilncs:

goodmama85
by Diamond Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
This here in my state lol.According to New York State law, your child must remain secured in a federally-approved child restraint device up to the age of four. Children less than age four who weigh more than 40 pounds may be secured in a booster seat. Children ages 4, 5, and 6 must be secured in an age- and size-appropriate child safety seat or booster seat
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN