Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spin Off: Bedtime methods ***EDITED TO ADD!!***

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Which Method?

Options:

Supernanny's

Mine.

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

When it's your child's bedtime, do you do the Supernanny method (Put them in bed, give loves and hugs, tell goodnight, if they get up, put them back in bed saying "It's bedtime" and all subsequent times just putting them back in bed, no eye contact, no words) or My method which is put them in bed, giving loves and hugs, tell goodnight, if they get up no big deal, unless they're out of their room or disrupting other's sleep, in which case, they get one warning that it's bedtime, they need to be quiet if they're going to play, then after that, they get time-out if they are disruptive again?

Please explain your choice. (:

ETA:

Personally, I use "My" method because I have bipolar and insomnia, and have ever since I can remember, so I want to teach SD what she needs to do to get herself tired enough to sleep by her self. I don't feel as though she has no bedtime, nor am I giving her all the control. When we tried the Supernanny method, NONE of us got sleep for about 2 1/2 weeks straight, because she would finally "give up" at 3 am and sleep, but was up before 4:30. This works for us because I am a SAHM, and she can sleep as long as she needs in the morning, which is usually until around 7:30-8:00 after going to sleep no later than 11.

Sid Jemma Sidney

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Casperstalks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM

bump

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I choose Supernanny's ONLY because that's what works for us.

When we had a lax bedtime for DD1, meaning, she was in bed by a certain time (we do the same routine every night!), and would allow her to play with her toys IF she got up, she wouldn't go to bed til God knows when. However, now that we have a "no getting out of your bed" rule, she's actually staying in bed!

For some kids that aren't as "spirited", your way might work just fine. But our DD1 is hell on wheels.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Neither.

All three children are different:

My oldest needs time to unwind so he stays up but in his bed. He usually stims for an hour or two before finally falling asleep.

My second son goes right to sleep. I put him in bed and out he goes.

My third cuddles with me until she goes to sleep and then I put her in her bed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM

ds doesnt get out of bed anymore but when he did we would cuddle for a few minutes in bed and then i would just say its bed time and put him back to bed. ds has always been a really awesome sleeper so it was never really a problem for us.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I always did the supernanny one - but it didn't have a name back when I did it (oh, the days before reality shows!)  It worked.  When they knew there was absolutely no choice in the matter - ever - they quit fighting it.  Never, ever give in.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM

We do 2 bedtime stories, then I tuck them in, and turn on their bedtime CD. I don't allow the kids to get out of bed. If they talk in their bed for a few that's fine, but they stay in bed. My DS has tried getting out a few times (age 2), but I put him right back in and tell him it's bedtime. Both kids are usually asleep within 20 minutes.

lovemyirish
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM
None. Once they're in bed, they're done for the night. They can watch some TV, and they really only get up to use the bathroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wineisfine
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I sing them two songs, and read them a short story. We say bedtime prayers, kisses and hugs and then that is it. My children stay in bed when they are sent to bed, bedtime is cake in this house!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Our doors are old and my son can't open his bedroom door, so I just put him in his room and close the door. When he gets a little older and is able to open the door, I will do the Supernanny method because I think it's effective.
Casperstalks
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN