Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can you be depressed if you are not sad?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

I was prescribed anti-depressants this week after speaking to my doctor.  I don't walk around crying or feel suicidal or any of the stereotypical ways people think of depressions. 

Pretty much I feel purpose-less. I feel lost, I became a mother and a wife and I don't see what I am outside of that. I feel overwhelmed with my life, and my job and I am losing focus with both. Sometimes I get completely lost in movies and tv shows, kind of an escape from my own life. I have no sex drive and sometimes I sleep all day or I don't sleep at all. I am angry at many things and many people in my life for various reasons. 

Is this also depression? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sure can be. *hugs*

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Definitely! I hope you feel better soon. I battle depression and it sucks. Medication can help- but it takes time. XO

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Me too, thank you very much. It's something I am not sharing with anyone because I feel that no one will believe it since I am not moping around. 

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Definitely! I hope you feel better soon. I battle depression and it sucks. Medication can help- but it takes time. XO

WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Sure is!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Sadness and depression do not necessarily go hand in hand. Depression in one person will not look like depression in another. Yes, anger and the things you describe can in fact be the way your body deals with depression. Hugs. Feel better soon. I am glad you sought help. It is truly half the battle.

Nonobeth
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Depression isnt just feeling sad, it can also be feeling... nothing.

Lack of interest in thing you used to enjoy, When i was on anti depressants it was because i felt.. "grey" all the time. Not sure how to describe it though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I feel like that often...just blank. And then other times I am just off the wall angry for stupid reasons. I hope the medication helps. I also have anxiety meds, I am thankful for those because my anxiety has been a problem for many years and I never addressed it until now. 

Quoting Nonobeth:

Depression isnt just feeling sad, it can also be feeling... nothing.

Lack of interest in thing you used to enjoy, When i was on anti depressants it was because i felt.. "grey" all the time. Not sure how to describe it though.

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
You pretty much pin pointed how i am. Im not sad, suicidal or any of that but i was still diagnosed with mild depression in november.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM

can I ask what medications you are on, and do you feel any different?

Quoting armyvet06:

You pretty much pin pointed how i am. Im not sad, suicidal or any of that but i was still diagnosed with mild depression in november.

notabosley
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Yes it can be.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)