Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 13 yo dd cuts herself!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
She carved the word "sorry" into her arm back in December . I took her to therapy n tried my best to spend as much time with her as possible.
She seemed to be getting better then I saw a pic on her Instagram acct where her legs were all cut up. There were also many other disturbing pics. Not of her but just depressing stuff.
I am at a loss. Has any one been thru this n can give me some advice please?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Ive done it.  Im embarrassed of the scars now.  Its an addiction, there can be lots of reasons to do it.  

AllieReed
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I haven't been through it. I'm so sorry that this is happening. Can you get her into counseling?

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Sounds like she may need some medication in addition to therapy. I went through that personally. Turns out I was misdiagnosed and needed medication. Once I got on medication my outlook was completely different. Hang in there mama!

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I had some advice for you but,this is something I have not dealt with... There was a Mom on here just a week or so ago who posted that her 12 yr old was cutting...I will pray that she or another Mom who can help you will see this.

Hugs Momma!huggingI know it has to be upsetting and scarey for you.

TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I have not been through this with my children as they are 5 and 1. But I was a self harmer at 13. I was cutting daily. All I can say is support her. Do not shame her. Get her help, let her know you love her and help her find healthy outlets to channel her self harm urges into. No matter how much therapy, the urge will always exist. I am not sure how comfortable you would be with this, but I pop my wrists with a rubberband when I feel the urge. Exercise is also a great outlet, or art therapy. Good luck mama. (((Hugs)))
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM
She was but I snopped on her phone where she told all her friends the therapy was making it worse.

Quoting AllieReed:

I haven't been through it. I'm so sorry that this is happening. Can you get her into counseling?

manicMOM_DLC
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:42 AM

i did this. 

you need to find out what is making her feel so helpless

and also help her find other ways to channel her negative feelings. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Thanks. I am looking into getting her some anxiety meds. I hope that will help.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Sounds like she may need some medication in addition to therapy. I went through that personally. Turns out I was misdiagnosed and needed medication. Once I got on medication my outlook was completely different. Hang in there mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I hope your better now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ive done it.  Im embarrassed of the scars now.  Its an addiction, there can be lots of reasons to do it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM
She has very low self esteem sadly. As much as I tell her I love her it just isn't enough.

Quoting manicMOM_DLC:

i did this. 

you need to find out what is making her feel so helpless

and also help her find other ways to channel her negative feelings. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)