Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 13 yo dd cuts herself!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
She carved the word "sorry" into her arm back in December . I took her to therapy n tried my best to spend as much time with her as possible.
She seemed to be getting better then I saw a pic on her Instagram acct where her legs were all cut up. There were also many other disturbing pics. Not of her but just depressing stuff.
I am at a loss. Has any one been thru this n can give me some advice please?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I also think antidepressants would be helpful as well. At least something to look into.good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks. I am looking into getting her some anxiety meds. I hope that will help.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Sounds like she may need some medication in addition to therapy. I went through that personally. Turns out I was misdiagnosed and needed medication. Once I got on medication my outlook was completely different. Hang in there mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I am,  my sister got me to stop.  She said to me, how do you think it makes me feel to see you hurt?  She was calm about it.  I have bipolar 1 and was very depressed.  If she is cutting herself I would say she needs to see a psychiatrist.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope your better now.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ive done it.  Im embarrassed of the scars now.  Its an addiction, there can be lots of reasons to do it.  

Corina1987
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I went through this off and on throughout my life. Im glad I didnt get on meds because I was forced to learn better coping skills. There are things you can do such as taking deep breaths,naming objects around you(forces you into the present and out the past/future),call someone. The best thing for her is to be able to have you or someone she trusts she can talk to at that moment she feels like shes going to hurt herself.Let her know you are there without judgement. Counseling would help too. I wish you all the best.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LittleBlueOwl
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Just because she told her friends it was making it worst doesnt mean that it is. She could have said it to for sympathy, for "cool points" or for whatever reason.. I started cutting when i was 13, i had a good life, great parents, my friends were ehh...it was middle school transition. Everyone was in that awkward grow up stage, splitting into new cliques. I got my first boyfriend (whom i found out a couple of years later he was 18) so he was pressuring me to do things i didnt want to do. Then high school came and things just went down hill. I got a new bf and he cut too and actually encouraged it. I was so down and hated myself i would go to the bathroom at school and cut. It got to a point i couldnt stand it anymore and i wanted help so bad but was too afraid to come out and say it. I would stay up 36 hours at a time, i ended up cutting myself too deeply i couldnt stop the bleeding. I had no choice but to wake my parents up at 4am. It was the worst feeling ever seeing my parents scared faces and them telling me i would have to stay in a mental health hospital for a week. I went to therapy afterwards and i hated it but it did help in the long run. I had a few small relapses but nothing more than a knick. Its not an easy thing to deal with, she has alot of emotions going on right now and she doesnt know how to deal with them. Pm me if you need anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

She was but I snopped on her phone where she told all her friends the therapy was making it worse.

Quoting AllieReed:

I haven't been through it. I'm so sorry that this is happening. Can you get her into counseling?

raye-chan
by Raye on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I did that for years. I STILL struggle with it now some days.

You can pm me to talk about it. I'm about to go to bed and can barely focus. So please, don't hesitate in messaging me.

It's difficult to overcome sometimes. It takes a lot of effort and patience and self love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM

i used to cut. used it to express pain i felt on the inside, it was a release, like a rush. i dont really know what made me stop or how i got over my issues, just happened over time i guess. sorry you are going through this, i cant even imagine what it must feel like watching your little girl suffer and hurt herself.

just keep trying to talk to her and find out what is behind it.

KeriAZ
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:19 AM
My DD did that for awhile. Didn't know she was. There was underlying problem. Found out her father My ex molested her and also that she is Transgender. So my DD has been living as a boy for nearly 3 yrs now. The cutting has stopped with meds and therapy. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Is she still in therapy?

a psychiatrist?  I have no idea. Does she say why she does it? Is it a release to anger, sadness?  

Im sorry

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM
I did that, just wanted attention
AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:23 AM
That probably means it was working. Therapy is hard and if it's not a instant fix an immature mind will think that the pain of looking at themselves honestly is "making it worse "... get her back into therapy, even if it's with a different doctor.

Quoting Anonymous:

She was but I snopped on her phone where she told all her friends the therapy was making it worse.

Quoting AllieReed:

I haven't been through it. I'm so sorry that this is happening. Can you get her into counseling?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured