Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

your mutt is not a purebred. edit to add

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

And giving it a cute name like malti-poo or labradoodle or puggle won't change that.  It's a mix breed, pure and simple.  Probably from some backyard breeder or puppy mill.  Yea, yea  some people rescue and blah blah, but a vast majority of these so called hybrids are from puppy mills and backyard breeders.

It pisses me off.  It shows your ignorance.

http://shibashake.com/dog/truth-designer-dogs-hybrid-dog

"There is now a backlash against designer dogs or hybrid dogs because they have become very popular and are now a big money making business.

This has attracted many unscrupulous breeders, including puppy mills and backyard breeders who are only in it to make money from us.

These puppy factories often keep their dogs in harsh and cruel conditions, and only use them as puppy producers.

They do not care to health test or temperament test their dogs. As a result, the puppies produced inherit the health and temperament issues of their parents. These puppies then turn up in pet stores or online stores."

"Therefore, designer dogs are not automatically bad and there is nothing wrong with them as long as they are properly bred."

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Replies (101-107):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Lady, Ive worked in puppy mills on both sides of the fence.  As an employee when I was young and didnt know better, and as a spca worker.  I know more about puppy mills than you ever want to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you know that there are a lot more puppy mills and backyard breeders making purebreds then there are hybrids? You need to look up a little more then a half article designed to upset you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I care where they get their pet becuase buying from puppy mills and backyard breeder perpetuates them existing.  Ever seen a puppy mill? 

Quoting Anonymous:

And this concerns us how, exactly? I really don't care where someone got their pet, so long as its a forever pet. You can get off your flimsy soap box and start caring about things that actually matter if you want to rant about something...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Adopt from a shelter or a breeder who allows you to see their facility. I'm an in home breeder, and I require that adoptees visit and meet mom as well as tour the prospective home. Responsible breeding happens!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Why not post facts about breeding instead of drama about mixing breeds? If your intention was to bring awareness about bad breeders, post about puppy mills, not mixing breeds.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:27 AM
:-) Thank you. I accept your apology.

Quoting Anonymous:

Something is going to happen tht you rarely see on cafemom....

Im really sorry, Its late and I misread your reply.  I thought you wrote, my poodle is pregnant by MY minpin.  I thought you had 2 unfixed dogs and was just letting them knock eachother up.  Again, Im really sorry

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Thanks. Now, could you please explain why this is irresponsible? I'd really like to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

youre an idiot.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I guess I must be ignorant. My dog will have puppies which will go to loving homes. They won't be strays or abused, so why is this a bad thing? It's not like I let her run the neighborhood and get pregnant by random stray dogs.

Quoting Anonymous:

seriously?  I really have to explain to you why not neutering your animals and letting them breed is a bad idea?  In this day and age you don't understand why this is irresponsible?

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

Why is that irresponsible? I have people who want the puppies.

Quoting Anonymous:

theyre called owned by an irresponsible person.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I know this has nothing to do with your rant, but my toy poodle is currently pregnant by a min pin. What are those called? (I know they're mutts, op lol)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I can't fathom anyone actually paying for a dog of any kind. There have always been good ones who have needed homes that I got for free or got from the local shelter. My MIL bought a show-quality golden for somewhere around $1200 and he died at age 5 of a brain tumor. She bought another one from the same breeder who died at age 6 from another tumor. The breeder is a well-known breeder, and owning one of her dogs is some kind of ridiculous status thing around here, but the fact is they're just fabulously beautiful but expensive crap dogs because they're so overbred they just tumor up and die. Yet people continue to line up to buy these diseased things because of their 'perfect conformation'. It's not just the puppy mills who are unscrupulous, it's the full-on, up-front, real breeders too. These dogs have papers with a bloodline a mile long but they aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I'm also not for puppy mills but I wanted to add that just because someone is an 'honest' breeder, doesn't mean they are doing the dogs any favors either. You'd be hard-pressed to find a pure bred dog that's 'properly bred' who doesn't have some kind of condition or higher chance of getting a serious condition because most popular breeds have been overbred for so long that the indivisuals they have to work with these days are just poor quality. So even if you breed them 'properly', you still end up with poor quality dogs health-wise. And you're paying through the nose for it. It makes no reasonable sense to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Lady, what makes you think I'm going to believe you did either? And its presumptuous to think that your background is a higher level then others, you don't know where I've worked or seen in the pet industry or organizations I've helped with. I can tell tom your postaand a lot of your responses that you aren't a true dog lover, because most of us love or animals regardless of breed or mix, most of us want to keep our pet happy and healthy despite what their make/model is, and I'm so proud that people are becoming more educated on puppy mills and opting to adopt. Even a lot of pet stores are becoming more savvy reputable breeders and won't buy puppies from puppy mills which in turn helps code those businesses down.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lady, Ive worked in puppy mills on both sides of the fence.  As an employee when I was young and didnt know better, and as a spca worker.  I know more about puppy mills than you ever want to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you know that there are a lot more puppy mills and backyard breeders making purebreds then there are hybrids? You need to look up a little more then a half article designed to upset you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I care where they get their pet becuase buying from puppy mills and backyard breeder perpetuates them existing.  Ever seen a puppy mill? 

Quoting Anonymous:

And this concerns us how, exactly? I really don't care where someone got their pet, so long as its a forever pet. You can get off your flimsy soap box and start caring about things that actually matter if you want to rant about something...

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Purebred dogs are as "puppy milled" as designer breeds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)