Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those under tornado watch/warning...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Did you send your babies to school?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I'm in Georgia and we're under a watch until later this afternoon.  We get warnings a lot and it's such a hit or miss with the weather that we would be missing a lot of school/work if we stayed home for every time they issued a severe weather watch or warning.

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Where do you all live? I live in WI and I keep my kids home if we are under warnings... and I always wondered how folks down south deal with that. Your weather is sooo much more severe. I wouldn't be able to function with threats like that and having my kids separated from me. Ewwww!

PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Right, exactly! I work in the afternoons so I am able to keep my kids home THE ONE DAY A YEAR THAT WE ACTUALLY HAVE A WARNING! (Hahaa!) I never miss work, even for warnings. Never. But thats just what I thought... how do folks in the south keep their kids home? It seems like you are always under serious warning and its a 50/50 chance as to if it will be dangerous or not. I read that one woman during the Joplin tornado was killed because, even under that threat, she ran for pizza! We so rarely get threats that I wont even order pizza for fear of endangering the pizza driver! I cant imagine becoming so used to that sort of threat that I just carry on as usual. *shiver*

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

I'm in Georgia and we're under a watch until later this afternoon.  We get warnings a lot and it's such a hit or miss with the weather that we would be missing a lot of school/work if we stayed home for every time they issued a severe weather watch or warning.

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Where do you all live? I live in WI and I keep my kids home if we are under warnings... and I always wondered how folks down south deal with that. Your weather is sooo much more severe. I wouldn't be able to function with threats like that and having my kids separated from me. Ewwww!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM
On the flip side my gf who lives in OK (and ignores all warnings) thinks we are crazy for driving in snow and ice. Hahaa! Eh! Just drive slow! :)

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Right, exactly! I work in the afternoons so I am able to keep my kids home THE ONE DAY A YEAR THAT WE ACTUALLY HAVE A WARNING! (Hahaa!) I never miss work, even for warnings. Never. But thats just what I thought... how do folks in the south keep their kids home? It seems like you are always under serious warning and its a 50/50 chance as to if it will be dangerous or not. I read that one woman during the Joplin tornado was killed because, even under that threat, she ran for pizza! We so rarely get threats that I wont even order pizza for fear of endangering the pizza driver! I cant imagine becoming so used to that sort of threat that I just carry on as usual. *shiver*

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM

LOL, sad but true.  Like the snow that rolled in last week or whatever.  It was 75 one day and the next they're calling for snow.. schools shut down and everything.  Last minute the system turned north of us and we didn't get the first flake.

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

Quoting PhoenixMomof3:

Stephd710
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Mine arent in school yet.  They are at my moms today while I work.  Her neighbor has a basement that they all huddle in if the sirens go off. 

meka26
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We are close to the town with the tornado watch. Yes, I did send dd to school. I also have class at 11am. If the school closes early, they will call .

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Yea I'm in ga too. We had a warning right before my son was to take the bus. He's home today.

Quoting Anonymous:

georgia is under a tornado watch until 4:00 this afternoon..

Quoting cyork2:

Where's these tornado warnings at? I know we are expecting some severe storms later this afternoon, maybe I should Elbe watching the news, lol.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM

DD is homeschooled. But in the past yes I've sent her to school with tornado watches.

The wind and rain hit our living room window really hard and scared DS. I was woken up this morning by him running into my bedroom crying. Poor baby. He didn't even put his breakfast spoon down. lol. (daddy was up with him)

rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I still took dd to school. If it were a warning I may have kept her home. She's in pre-k3 and is only there for 3 hours and it's just right down the street from us so I'm not too concerned. I get to drive further north after I pick her up to go to work this afternoon where it's much more likely to turn into a warning than where we live.
tarakay0417
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM
It was over by 6 this morning. It's just raining now. School opened 2 hrs late so yes I sent him to school
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured