Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eff this! I want his rights terminated NOW! (ETA and update.. AGAIN)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 137 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't know how to go about doing so. My ex and I split up after a 16 month relationship earlier this month. We have a daughter together but he is not listed on the birth certificate. I'm pretty sure I have to establish paternity first, but I don't want child support and I do not under any circumstances want him having rights to him. He is mentally abusive, cruel to animals, racist, sexist, and is reportedly abusive to females (per BOTH his ex wives). Can I have his rights terminated immediately on those grounds alone?

UPDATE: I've been texting and calling him for a week now and he responded a few minutes ago while I was reading some of these replies. He said he does NOT want any rights to her. He told me to change her last name to my husbands and he will "butt out" (his exact words). I am married, but we were legally separated when I became pregnant by the ex. Bash away I know you will. Back on point, my husband has agreed to take on all financial responsbilities for DD. So I guess I don't need to terminate his rights. Ex knows this baby is his, so would he be able to come back in a few years and petition for rights to her?

UPDATE #2: I talked to a family lawyer. She said with DH being listed on the BC and bio dad not wanting anything to do with her there are no rights to terminate since BD doesn't have any legal rights and is not petitioning for dna testing. And DH can't adopt DD since she is already legally his DD. I asked about him coming later and demanding custody/visitation in her life later and she told me we'd have to cross that bridge when/if it happens. But a friend told me that I could get him to write and sign a letter in front of a notary saying that he acknowledges paternity and relinqueshes all rights and it would prevent him from changing his mind later. Does any one know if that is true? I've tried Google and the lawyer is in court until 3 today and will be for the rest of the week.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM
10 moms liked this

You know all this but you were with him over a year and have a kid? smh... if he's not on the birth certificate, he has no rights to your child.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quoting AmyL3469:

You know all this but you were with him over a year and have a kid? smh... if he's not on the birth certificate, he has no rights to your child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM
This.

Quoting AmyL3469:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Sunshine
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM

He needs to agree to having his rights terminated.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Unless he persues parental rights, he has none.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

No you can't.  The judge  is going to say "you knew all of that while you were with him and it was ok".

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I believe you need to file for sole custody.  You need to talk to an attorney.

bellaamore
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Why did you sleep with this guy?

LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM

technically he has no rights as he is not on the bc, or determined to be bio dad. so unless he takes you to court to prove all this, you can deny visits.

JOEJULA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM

You need to talk to the attorney generals office and find out what steps you need to take. If he fights for his rights  then you need evidence of his past behaviors, and witnesses.

pregnancy calendar
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured