Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

it's -45 and your kid is walking to school?! REALLY?! ***update for today**

Posted by   + Show Post

This orning the temp is -30 -35  and with the windchill it is -45. 

so of course, i run out and start my car as soon as we get up, let it warm up while ds6 gets dressed and me and ds2 get dressed. 

eat breakfast and get in the car to drive ds the 3 blocks to school. 

and what do i see? his littl buddy wyatt, who is also 6, WALKING and he lives a block farther down the road!!!!!

well of course i went and picked him up and gave him a ride, you cant just let your little kids walk with a -45 windchill!!!!

his moms minivan was just sitting in the driveway......i saw a few more kids walking to school after i dropped ds and his lil buddy off. 

wth?! if my suv didnt start this morning, ds would have been staying home, plain and simple.

gah!!

itand once again today i look out the window and its sitting right at -35. yay. go outside to start my car, which by the way? we plug them in at night. well poor bessy barely managed to start shiver me timber my boobs were two blocks of painful ice just in the half a min it took to start the car!!!!

well of course i let that puppy run a good 15 min. yes i did. **sricks tongue out** 

we were running late, and just as i drop ds off at school, i get a text from his teacher checking to make sure he wasnt walking because he hadnt reached school yet and it was so cold she was worried :-)  it was only 8:45, bell had rung only 5 min ago.  a mom HAS to appreciate that her kids teacher cares enough to check on these things with you asap and in person, kwim?

anyways, no kids were walking today either. -47 with the windchill ( a neighbor just posted on facebook) 

and that btw, is CELCIUS

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (351-360):
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

so you're in sask too then?

Quoting PoplarGrove:

lol!  I was going to say that where we live it's mandated that anything below -25 or something they can't be forced to go outside.  At our school they won't LET the kids go outside if it's as cold as yesterday.  

Quoting supermama322:

lol I just asked her again. Nooooo Mum, I meant INDOOR  recess. lol

Yes they can stay in if they want or don't have proper clothes

Quoting D.O.E.:

really? i just asked ds and he said they had indoor recess today, but then again there are only 150 kids total in k-12, so its not a big deal to keep the kids inside. it would really suck to have to go outside for recess in this weather. was going outside optional? i mean if they had wanted to stay inside they could have right? 

Quoting supermama322:

LOL. It' that cold several months out of the year here. Our kids would miss a LOT of school.

My oldest's Kindergarten class still had outdoor recess today. (I live super close to OP, so same temp)

Quoting Cheribomb:

why the fuck is school even open when its that cold?  i would have kept my kids home.  

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

If schools here were cancelled when it got this cold, our kids would miss a LOT of school. lol

Quoting Kara242:

schools here would have cancled!

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Just because your heart is that cold doesn't mean hers should be.

Quoting Anonymous:

You really shouldn't be picking up other people's kids and driving them, especially without carseats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Same. Anything over -45 with a windchill is enough for school closures because some children have to wait outside for the school charter.

Even at -40, I remember my dad parking the car at the end of the driveway even if I had skipants and a scarf double wrapped around my head -whole winter getup.

Quoting Kara242:

schools here would have cancled!

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Seriously. I think a child inside a warm vehicle in this Canadian weather is more important than someone without a fucking carseat. It was one time. If it keeps happening, I'm sure OP would find one. Ugh. Some people are so fucking annoying.

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Anonymous:

You really shouldn't be picking up other people's kids and driving them, especially without carseats.

hiddenidentity6
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM

or she could have walked him there.

deepthinker
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I agree, I would not allow my child to walk to school four blocks in that cold weather.  -45 is a temp in which being outside for more then 15 minutes could cause frostbite.  His mom should have drove him to school or let him stay home.

Personally I wouldn't let a 6 year old walk 4 blocks by themselves anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Added wind is more dangerous than the temp itself. If it's -30 with windchill adjusted to -46 you've got about half of an hour before frostbite sets in, whereas -20 adjusted to -45 gives you only 10 minutes. Even though the first adjusted temp appears slightly colder, not as much of your body heat is being whipped away so it's really less dangerous. If the child were with an adult I wouldn't have taken issue with walking, but considering the risk if something should delay them from getting to the school in a timely manner I don't think they should have been walking alone in those conditions.

Quoting D.O.E.:

bite me. its -45! i wasnt letting him walk! thats about a 8-10 min walk, do you know how fast exposed skin gets frostbite in these temps?

Quoting Anonymous:

dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Why is it bad to let your car warm up? i thought is was bad to get in you car and go.

Quoting Acid:

1.  It's bad for your car to let it warm up.

2.  Perhaps the minivan was broken down.

3.  You can't skip school because it's cold.  Don't be a wimp.

ididntdoit111
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Quoting D.O.E.:

bite me. its -45! i wasnt letting him walk! thats about a 8-10 min walk, do you know how fast exposed skin gets frostbite in these temps?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup, she can bite me too. I'd have done it too. You should ask the boys mom if you can drive him to school from now on. And besides that I wouldn't let my 6YO walk 3 blocks to school alone, even in 75 degree weather.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)