Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

it's -45 and your kid is walking to school?! REALLY?! ***update for today**

Posted by   + Show Post

This orning the temp is -30 -35  and with the windchill it is -45. 

so of course, i run out and start my car as soon as we get up, let it warm up while ds6 gets dressed and me and ds2 get dressed. 

eat breakfast and get in the car to drive ds the 3 blocks to school. 

and what do i see? his littl buddy wyatt, who is also 6, WALKING and he lives a block farther down the road!!!!!

well of course i went and picked him up and gave him a ride, you cant just let your little kids walk with a -45 windchill!!!!

his moms minivan was just sitting in the driveway......i saw a few more kids walking to school after i dropped ds and his lil buddy off. 

wth?! if my suv didnt start this morning, ds would have been staying home, plain and simple.

gah!!

itand once again today i look out the window and its sitting right at -35. yay. go outside to start my car, which by the way? we plug them in at night. well poor bessy barely managed to start shiver me timber my boobs were two blocks of painful ice just in the half a min it took to start the car!!!!

well of course i let that puppy run a good 15 min. yes i did. **sricks tongue out** 

we were running late, and just as i drop ds off at school, i get a text from his teacher checking to make sure he wasnt walking because he hadnt reached school yet and it was so cold she was worried :-)  it was only 8:45, bell had rung only 5 min ago.  a mom HAS to appreciate that her kids teacher cares enough to check on these things with you asap and in person, kwim?

anyways, no kids were walking today either. -47 with the windchill ( a neighbor just posted on facebook) 

and that btw, is CELCIUS

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I live in Alaska and yes when its that cold we walk. we don't have another car so we just bundle up and go.

Its not that bad if you're prepared for it and living here we most certainly are.

If i kept my kid home from school because we didn't have a car, he would never go to school.

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Regina, SK
Wednesday 9:00 AM
Partly Cloudy
undefined
°C | °F
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 14 km/h
Temperature
Precipitation
Wind
Quoting Not_A_Native:

Wait!  Is that celcius or farenheit?   If it's celcius, that's not really all that bad for 3 or 4 blocks.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM
4 moms liked this
What the fuck is wrong with people??? I am from Minnesota and when its -45 holy shit can u feel it! Actually my kids would be staying home too if my car didn't start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
11 moms liked this

"um excuse me rcmp? my neighbor gave my kid a ride to school without my permission.  i want to press charges"

"for what? its -45, you should be thanking her" 

"well, because im a bitch you see. "

"stop wasteing our time or YOU will be facing charges" **click**

Quoting Anonymous:

If his mother was concerned she would have handled it.

Your charges if his mom gets pissed and calls the cops, not mine. If she wanted him to get a ride from you I'm sure she would have let you know.

Quoting D.O.E.:

bite me. its -45! i wasnt letting him walk! thats about a 8-10 min walk, do you know how fast exposed skin gets frostbite in these temps?

Quoting Anonymous:

You really shouldn't be picking up other people's kids and driving them, especially without carseats.

lanceandhailey
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My brother and I used to walk three blocks to school every school day, no matter what the weather was....

Hope that kids parents don't flip out on the poor kid for getting in your vehicle.

Join the new Beautiful Creatures group!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/beautifulcreatures

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Last week we had one of those days, the temp was 10° F but with the wind it felt about -5. I could swear my ears would chip off because they were literally frozen! You did the trigger thing!

Quoting D.O.E.:

i live in sask canada, in a village of 450 people. 150 of those people are kids. this is my sons best buddy. of course i gave him a ride. 

have you ever walked 4 long blocks in -45? when you're 6?!  this is beyond just "freezing weather" this is exposed skin gets frost bite in a minute weather.

Quoting the4mutts:

You should mind your own business unless the kid was inapproperiately dressed for the weather. Its not your job to pick someone elses kid up to give them a ride. My kids know not to take rides from ANYONE, including friends & family, for any reason, and it would not fly with me if someone we knew talked them into getting in their car. Its like 4 blocks! Chill out.

My kids walked home in freezing weather 2 weeks ago. And we dont live any 4 blocks from the school. More like 3/4 of a mile. Oh well! Nobodys business but ours.

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I could not live where you live. I would turn into a popsicle the minute I walked outside. At least you were nice enough to pick him up :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kattu
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I thought you Canadians were immune to the cold! ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM

i honestly do not go outside unless there is a warm car waiting for me lol. i hate winter!!! i mean i love the first snow! and for about a month its cool and all ..then im like, fuck off winter! you can go away now!

Quoting Kaya529:

I could not live where you live. I would turn into a popsicle the minute I walked outside. At least you were nice enough to pick him up :)

firemouse23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM
4 moms liked this

You absolutely did the right thing by giving him a ride this morning.  The nay sayers obviously have never been in weather that cold.  Better he keep all his fingers and toes...ears and nose than to lose it just trying to get to school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured