Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

it's -45 and your kid is walking to school?! REALLY?! ***update for today**

Posted by   + Show Post

This orning the temp is -30 -35  and with the windchill it is -45. 

so of course, i run out and start my car as soon as we get up, let it warm up while ds6 gets dressed and me and ds2 get dressed. 

eat breakfast and get in the car to drive ds the 3 blocks to school. 

and what do i see? his littl buddy wyatt, who is also 6, WALKING and he lives a block farther down the road!!!!!

well of course i went and picked him up and gave him a ride, you cant just let your little kids walk with a -45 windchill!!!!

his moms minivan was just sitting in the driveway......i saw a few more kids walking to school after i dropped ds and his lil buddy off. 

wth?! if my suv didnt start this morning, ds would have been staying home, plain and simple.

gah!!

itand once again today i look out the window and its sitting right at -35. yay. go outside to start my car, which by the way? we plug them in at night. well poor bessy barely managed to start shiver me timber my boobs were two blocks of painful ice just in the half a min it took to start the car!!!!

well of course i let that puppy run a good 15 min. yes i did. **sricks tongue out** 

we were running late, and just as i drop ds off at school, i get a text from his teacher checking to make sure he wasnt walking because he hadnt reached school yet and it was so cold she was worried :-)  it was only 8:45, bell had rung only 5 min ago.  a mom HAS to appreciate that her kids teacher cares enough to check on these things with you asap and in person, kwim?

anyways, no kids were walking today either. -47 with the windchill ( a neighbor just posted on facebook) 

and that btw, is CELCIUS

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
the4mutts
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
You should mind your own business unless the kid was inapproperiately dressed for the weather. Its not your job to pick someone elses kid up to give them a ride. My kids know not to take rides from ANYONE, including friends & family, for any reason, and it would not fly with me if someone we knew talked them into getting in their car. Its like 4 blocks! Chill out.
My kids walked home in freezing weather 2 weeks ago. And we dont live any 4 blocks from the school. More like 3/4 of a mile. Oh well! Nobodys business but ours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM

i felt so bad for him!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Totally agree!!! We have parents with children in their cars waiting or the bus because its too cold to be outside. I couldn't imagine just letting met child walk!

ksueditz
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
We don't have school today b/c of icy roads, covered w/ snow. I don't think it's ever been that cold here.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Wait!  Is that celcius or farenheit?   If it's celcius, that's not really all that bad for 3 or 4 blocks.

the4mutts
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM
8 moms liked this
You know what, i stand corrected. I didnt notice the NEGATIVE temp. Thats uncalled for
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
If his mother was concerned she would have handled it.

Your charges if his mom gets pissed and calls the cops, not mine. If she wanted him to get a ride from you I'm sure she would have let you know.

Quoting D.O.E.:

bite me. its -45! i wasnt letting him walk! thats about a 8-10 min walk, do you know how fast exposed skin gets frostbite in these temps?

Quoting Anonymous:

You really shouldn't be picking up other people's kids and driving them, especially without carseats.

D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this

i live in sask canada, in a village of 450 people. 150 of those people are kids. this is my sons best buddy. of course i gave him a ride. 

have you ever walked 4 long blocks in -45? when you're 6?!  this is beyond just "freezing weather" this is exposed skin gets frost bite in a minute weather.

Quoting the4mutts:

You should mind your own business unless the kid was inapproperiately dressed for the weather. Its not your job to pick someone elses kid up to give them a ride. My kids know not to take rides from ANYONE, including friends & family, for any reason, and it would not fly with me if someone we knew talked them into getting in their car. Its like 4 blocks! Chill out.
My kids walked home in freezing weather 2 weeks ago. And we dont live any 4 blocks from the school. More like 3/4 of a mile. Oh well! Nobodys business but ours.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
We are taught what is cold. If he was properly dressed, I don't see a big deal.
jcm28
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Omg that is cold.
the4mutts
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM
See my 2nd comment before you replied.

Quoting D.O.E.:

i live in sask canada, in a village of 450 people. 150 of those people are kids. this is my sons best buddy. of course i gave him a ride. 

have you ever walked 4 long blocks in -45? when you're 6?!  this is beyond just "freezing weather" this is exposed skin gets frost bite in a minute weather.

Quoting the4mutts:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)