Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

it's -45 and your kid is walking to school?! REALLY?! ***update for today**

Posted by   + Show Post

This orning the temp is -30 -35  and with the windchill it is -45. 

so of course, i run out and start my car as soon as we get up, let it warm up while ds6 gets dressed and me and ds2 get dressed. 

eat breakfast and get in the car to drive ds the 3 blocks to school. 

and what do i see? his littl buddy wyatt, who is also 6, WALKING and he lives a block farther down the road!!!!!

well of course i went and picked him up and gave him a ride, you cant just let your little kids walk with a -45 windchill!!!!

his moms minivan was just sitting in the driveway......i saw a few more kids walking to school after i dropped ds and his lil buddy off. 

wth?! if my suv didnt start this morning, ds would have been staying home, plain and simple.

gah!!

itand once again today i look out the window and its sitting right at -35. yay. go outside to start my car, which by the way? we plug them in at night. well poor bessy barely managed to start shiver me timber my boobs were two blocks of painful ice just in the half a min it took to start the car!!!!

well of course i let that puppy run a good 15 min. yes i did. **sricks tongue out** 

we were running late, and just as i drop ds off at school, i get a text from his teacher checking to make sure he wasnt walking because he hadnt reached school yet and it was so cold she was worried :-)  it was only 8:45, bell had rung only 5 min ago.  a mom HAS to appreciate that her kids teacher cares enough to check on these things with you asap and in person, kwim?

anyways, no kids were walking today either. -47 with the windchill ( a neighbor just posted on facebook) 

and that btw, is CELCIUS

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Ehhh my kids would be walking. They don't call school off for anything here so they walk in all weather and it is one of the windiest cities in the us.
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM

with the windchill yes it is, this is my thermometer this am

-35, with this thing called the WINDCHILL it is -45.  

Quoting notjstasocermom:

i doubt it was -45. 

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM
How do you know we've never been in weather that cold?

I have been in 45 below chasin' horses for well over an hour. I didn't die or lose limbs.

Walked to school in ID every day in freezing weather.

Quoting firemouse23:

You absolutely did the right thing by giving him a ride this morning.  The nay sayers obviously have never been in weather that cold.  Better he keep all his fingers and toes...ears and nose than to lose it just trying to get to school.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I'm one of those "carseat crazy" people, and I would have done this. That is frostbite in under a minute weather. On the verge of frostbit lungs weather. (yes, that can happen if it gets cold enough).
Everything is a risk/benefit analysis. I firmly believe this kid was at more risk walking than riding in her vehicle in just a seatbelt. I am Canadian, too, I have actually been in weather that cold, it is NO joke.

Quoting Anonymous:

You really shouldn't be picking up other people's kids and driving them, especially without carseats.

Oceana09
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

For those of you saying that you doubt it was -45, obviously you haven't been watching the news. Last week there were places that were hitting 50 below. That storm front has caused some serious freaking issues all over the place.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this
guess you're not a real canadian, whorlene. canadians can handle that shit.

why don't you come back to america?

wait...will they not let you back in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Acid
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

1.  It's bad for your car to let it warm up.

2.  Perhaps the minivan was broken down.

3.  You can't skip school because it's cold.  Don't be a wimp.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

As long as he's appropriately dressed, it's not going to hurt him to walk four blocks. Some live in places where its that cold for months out of the year, they have to go outside during that time, they live.

tyrelsmom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Which is actually colder than -45 F.....

And I believe it. We're sitting at about -33 here in Alberta with wind chill. And sask is generally colder.

Quoting Mama_Dolly:

-45 c.... and oh yes it is

Quoting notjstasocermom:

i doubt it was -45. 

arpazia
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1st: clearly I've missed something.
2nd: omfg poor kid, that's cold!
3rd: I have no third:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)