Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

12 weeks and on 3rd ultrasound? What? Why?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just don't understand why doctors offices do this routinely. I don't. First trimester ultrasounds routinely? Doesn't make any sense. I just saw someone post she's on her 3rd ultrasound and she'll be 12 weeks for it. I didn't even hear the heartbeat yet and I'm almost 11 weeks. 

Anyone know why offices do this lately? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM
With my last pregnancy I had my 3rd ultrasound at 14 weeks. However, none were routine. 7 weeks, I had bleeding they wanted to check out. 12 weeks I was in massive amounts of pain(ended up hospitalized on a morphine drip), and then 14 weeks started gushing blood again.

So......yeah. That was my experience. Lol. I will so though, in other countries it's completely routine. In Germany my friends got ultrasounds at every appointment, it was as routine for them as checking the heartbeat through Doppler is for us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I'm high risk so every appt I go to I get an ultrasound. I lost count on how many I've had thus far but I had four by the time I was 12 weeks. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

my insurance only covers one at 18-20 weeks unless medcially necessary before or after that point

I had an additional one at 36 weeks because I was measuring small, and one at 41 weeks to check fluid levels

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM
My doc does a 7 week dating ultrasound and then the amnio at 12 weeks, so I suppose if there was an issue, itd be easy to have one more
piratehooker
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I had about 9 during my pregnancy only because I was over 35 and have a thyroid issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bcuz2pplfelnlv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
i got several ultrasounds with my ds, cause i was high risk due to a miscarriage. so maybe that's why? do you know her situation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I got ultrasounds every appointment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

my office does the confirmation US at the first appt, which is 7-8 weeks.  they do a nuchal US at 12-13 weeks and then the anatomy scan at 18ish weeks. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

My doc does a 7 week dating ultrasound and then the amnio at 12 weeks, so I suppose if there was an issue, itd be easy to have one more

amnio? Why? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I have a thyroid issue.. I had bleeding, no ultrasounds still. I never got any until 19-20 weeks with my first kids either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)