Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So what is the big deal? Yes I am a woman who does not ave a job outside of the house. I love my family to death but these conversations that we have had especially my father saying maybe you should go back to school and get back to work and my uncle tells me that I should not have my life revolve around DS only because when he grows up I won't have really done anything for myself, I might lose myself. In the beginning my mother was not thrilled to learn that her only daughter has decided to depend on her DH.

She went back to school while working and graduated with  4.0 and has been the breadwinner in the family when my SD (step-dad) decided that he did not want to be a banker anymore. I know that they are concerned for me and my well being but it can be frustrating to know they think I could be doing more or something else with my life. 

Did anyone oppose your life decisions?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I am a SAHM but I am also working on my degree and will be graduating this year. I may not use that degree unless I have to but I like the security of having it. I love being a stay at home mommy and wife though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

KatieFlower
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I love being a SAHM 100 percent I am so blessed that I can be and that my husband works hard so that I may have the luxury of staying home

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I was a full time sahm for a bit while married and i felt i couldve been doing more.

I went back to work PT and im so glad i did, it kept me up dated on the outside world OTHER than being a mom or a sahm. You do eventually lose yourself and your kids do grow up. Conversation with other sahm got stale and old and repetitious.

The part of me that was even more glad i kept working was when i found out he had cheated and eventually i worked towards my divorce. I knew I was set and didnt have to count on him once it was final. Its probably why it made it easier to make my decision and that I deserved better and I didnt have to stay. No regrets

Now im a sahwm all because i didnt give up that part of what I was before kids.

Id rather be independent than to be dependant on someone

I agree with your dad

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

My in-laws hate that I'm a sahm, but what they hate even more is that when they asked my husband why I choose to say at home he said, "I asked her to; I remember what it was like to grow up with strangers, not really knowing my parents and I want something different for my kids". I think it hit his mom the hardest when he said that because she went back to work when her kids were 2 weeks old and financially speaking, she didn't need to work. Not only would they have been fine had she not worked, they still would have been able to save for retirement and the boys' education... maybe just 1 or 2 fewer vacations every year.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
In trying Soooo hard not to say it...lol

Quoting Amiehart62:

Change you're title quickly before the grammar nazis tear you apart
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I just got that on the side so I can find something to do from home. 

I'm majoring right now, getting my BA in applied behavioral science. I plan to get my masters in social work when I'm done.

Quoting Mommytorn:

What are you going for your masters in? Something health care related I'm guessing? (Since you said you're a medical transcriptionist)

Quoting AmyL3469:

My husband's grandmother told me I need to stop mooching off of him. Are you kidding me? I'm in college and I plan on getting my masters degree. I stay home, take care of our kids, and I've been looking for part-time medical transcription work since I have my diploma for that as well. Mooch... grrr.

robyann
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I love being a sahm/mawmaw, my youngest child is 17, but now I have gkids that I stay home with. I am so grateful that I've been able to do this most of the past 30 years. I have begun to think about the what ifs, I seriously doubt my dh would just up and leave me now, lol, but if for whatever reason I had to support myself, I don't know how I would do that. I advise sahm's to at least have some sort of back up plan just in case, you never know what can happen.

Noone was really ever against me staying home, except one sil, I think she was just jealous. In my family most of the moms stayed home, so it was no big deal when I decided to.

It really doesn't matter what others say to you, if you are happy being a sahm and your dh is too, that's all that matters.

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

sydjademom24
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Of course. My parents wanted me to go to college, then get married, start a family, because its what they did. They didnt meet until late 20's...early 30's. They didnt get me until 35 and 37. I got married at 18. Got pregnant at 19. I knew my husband for 3 months before we got married. We didnt tell anyone we were getting married. Hes not a christian like I was raised, they didnt like that either. We are happy. Weve been married 10 years. We have 3 daughters. I stay home, but if I ever needed to I would work. I worked the first couple years of our marriage. As a little girl I wanted to be a wife and mom, not a vet or doctor. You gotta do what makes you happy, not everyone else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsRkg
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I don't agree with SAHM who have no plans on what they would do in the worst case scenario. I always say that it's great to be optimistic and hope that everything's works out for the best, but it's more responsible to be realistic and prepared for the worst. If you don't have any type of education or work experience to fall back on, and even then that is not guarantee for a sound plan in the future if your degree is over 4 years old and you haven't worked in over two years, then I think that you(general "you") are not being smart, especially considering you have a child(ren) who is dependent on you. I always believed that if you were a SAHM (or dad) ,at the very least, the stay at home parent should always have their own bank  account with just their name on it, and make regular deposits into it to save for the worst case.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

No one opposes my decision. My family knows what having a child has meant to me.

Photo: -Randi.Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN