Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bullying

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: Is bullying a serious problem?

Options:

Yes

No, kids who are bullied should just get over it

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

While in another post, I read a comment that now has me wondering how many people think this way.

My question is, Do you think kids that have been or are being bullied should just get over it or ignore it and that THEY are the problem? or dDo you think bullying is a real and serious issue facing the kids of today?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Seriously? No One has an opinion?

atyou
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Is this seriously even questionable?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Refurbished
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Bullies are the problem, not the people they pick on.  A bully feels powerful by what he/she does.  They feel joy from another's suffering.  They pick a person who is small, shy, or doesn't have a lot of friends to defend them.  That's the only thing wrong with their victim -- that the bully feels they are an easy target.

Bullies should be stopped very early on so that it doesn't become a life-long pattern.

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM

yes in another post I read a response that to someone concerned about bullying that she was raising kids without backbones.

Quoting atyou:

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Bullies are the problem but I also think this generation of children tend to be entirely too sensitive and whiny.
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I personally think that people are too quick to cry bully over the smallest stuff these days, and that this is causing issues with determining when actual harmful bullying occurs. Little Johnny gets left out of a recess game and the next day mom and dad are calling meetings with principals over this one incident. Kids are fickle, but unless behavior like that becomes a pattern, it isn't bullying.  I also think kids these days don't know how to ignore small things and that feeds the need for possible bullies to continue questionable behavior. Kids should know that if you let another's words hurt you so badly that it makes you a helpless victim instead of someone who can help change the circumstances. Obviously this is not true for physical altercations and repeated victimization. But just because Timmy called you a dookey head doesn't mean he's a bully and you are a victim. 

atyou
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Wow!

That blows me away. Even on cafeMOM.

Quoting LAXmom21:

yes in another post I read a response that to someone concerned about bullying that she was raising kids without backbones.

Quoting atyou:

SusieQue717
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I think that kids need to buck the fluck up, I mean, comeon! Defend yourself, and when the bigger kids see a little kid getting tortured, they can and should stand up for them. Where I went to high school, the jocks defended the little ones that were getting picked on. They weren't part of the problem, they were the solution. And yeah, in Middle school, I got into a few fights, but shit, I wasn't picked on after that. 

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I agree to an extent. Yes being left out at recess or not being picked for a team is NOt something to get all pissy about and involve the school.

HOWEVER, when it's constant harrassment at school, on facebook, twitter etc.. It is a HUGE problem. Large groups ganging up on 1 person at the very insecure age of 11-16 is bullying. How easy do you think it is when the harrassment doesn't stop, whether you are on facebook or twitter or not. Just KNOWING it's going on is soooo hard on a young teen who's already insecure and fragile.

Quoting momtolittleg:

I personally think that people are too quick to cry bully over the smallest stuff these days, and that this is causing issues with determining when actual harmful bullying occurs. Little Johnny gets left out of a recess game and the next day mom and dad are calling meetings with principals over this one incident. Kids are fickle, but unless behavior like that becomes a pattern, it isn't bullying.  I also think kids these days don't know how to ignore small things and that feeds the need for possible bullies to continue questionable behavior. Kids should know that if you let another's words hurt you so badly that it makes you a helpless victim instead of someone who can help change the circumstances. Obviously this is not true for physical altercations and repeated victimization. But just because Timmy called you a dookey head doesn't mean he's a bully and you are a victim. 

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Bullying is a huge problem, but I feel like some people really play the victim too much. There's a difference between someone bullying you and the typical girls calling other girls bitches. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)