Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poll

Question: Is bullying a serious problem?

Options:

Yes

No, kids who are bullied should just get over it

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

While in another post, I read a comment that now has me wondering how many people think this way.

My question is, Do you think kids that have been or are being bullied should just get over it or ignore it and that THEY are the problem? or dDo you think bullying is a real and serious issue facing the kids of today?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has had a bullying issue for a long time and on Sunday it all came to a head when her bully actually grew a big enough pair of balls that she bullied her in front of me.......BIG mistake, I let her have it, in church, in front of everyone and her mother.  I don't think she'll be a problem anymore.  All a bully needs is a bigger bully to shut them up!

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
It's absolutely a problem. But then again, we've taken authority away from teachers and other school staff. When I was in school, trouble makers, like bullies, got their behinds baked at school. No "talks", no asking them to please stop pretty please, you got your ass handed to you and you didn't want it again any time soon. Now everyone's always worried about the bully's rights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Obviously it's not the victims fault, the bully (and possibly their parents) are to blame. I do believe in teaching your kid to stand up for themself and not care what other people think though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Quoting LAXmom21:

I agree to an extent. Yes being left out at recess or not being picked for a team is NOt something to get all pissy about and involve the school.

HOWEVER, when it's constant harrassment at school, on facebook, twitter etc.. It is a HUGE problem. Large groups ganging up on 1 person at the very insecure age of 11-16 is bullying. How easy do you think it is when the harrassment doesn't stop, whether you are on facebook or twitter or not. Just KNOWING it's going on is soooo hard on a young teen who's already insecure and fragile.

Quoting momtolittleg:

I personally think that people are too quick to cry bully over the smallest stuff these days, and that this is causing issues with determining when actual harmful bullying occurs. Little Johnny gets left out of a recess game and the next day mom and dad are calling meetings with principals over this one incident. Kids are fickle, but unless behavior like that becomes a pattern, it isn't bullying.  I also think kids these days don't know how to ignore small things and that feeds the need for possible bullies to continue questionable behavior. Kids should know that if you let another's words hurt you so badly that it makes you a helpless victim instead of someone who can help change the circumstances. Obviously this is not true for physical altercations and repeated victimization. But just because Timmy called you a dookey head doesn't mean he's a bully and you are a victim. 

Did you even read what I wrote?

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I think it's always been an issue and always will be. Kids and people will always be mean and rude. However, I don't think the kids being bullies are the problem. The main problem is parents not teaching and showing their kids right from wrong, which is where the majority of bullies come from. Kids follow in their parents' foot steps for the most part.

misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Bullying is most certainly a serious problem. Luckily I went to a school where the bullying was very limited but I had friends from other schools that suffered greatly from bullying all because they didn't wear name brand clothes or drive the nicest cars. And it breaks my heart to know that younger kids are bullying each other. 

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Sorry I suddenly developed a severe migraine and can barely read anything. I apologize.

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting LAXmom21:

I agree to an extent. Yes being left out at recess or not being picked for a team is NOt something to get all pissy about and involve the school.

HOWEVER, when it's constant harrassment at school, on facebook, twitter etc.. It is a HUGE problem. Large groups ganging up on 1 person at the very insecure age of 11-16 is bullying. How easy do you think it is when the harrassment doesn't stop, whether you are on facebook or twitter or not. Just KNOWING it's going on is soooo hard on a young teen who's already insecure and fragile.

Quoting momtolittleg:

I personally think that people are too quick to cry bully over the smallest stuff these days, and that this is causing issues with determining when actual harmful bullying occurs. Little Johnny gets left out of a recess game and the next day mom and dad are calling meetings with principals over this one incident. Kids are fickle, but unless behavior like that becomes a pattern, it isn't bullying.  I also think kids these days don't know how to ignore small things and that feeds the need for possible bullies to continue questionable behavior. Kids should know that if you let another's words hurt you so badly that it makes you a helpless victim instead of someone who can help change the circumstances. Obviously this is not true for physical altercations and repeated victimization. But just because Timmy called you a dookey head doesn't mean he's a bully and you are a victim. 

Did you even read what I wrote?

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I think bullying has taken on a different form in such an advanced electronic age, and I think this generation of moms is just meaner in general...a lot of parents don't realize what they say/do, affects their children without them realizing it!

Bullying moms=bullying kids.

model1000mom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

There is a fine line at what constitutes "real bullying" IMO. I think it is a problem but in some cases I think it does not exist and the person claiming to be a victim overexaggerates it. There needs to be better rules as to determining real bullying and just being kids.

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM

It is something that has been a serious issues since the dawn of time it is just being taken more seriously now a days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)