Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Prayers needed please *Severe Weather* UPDATE

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 94 Replies

UPDATE 2:35pm - They're home!  Thankfully.  The rain is pouring now and really setting in.  They made it just in time :)  Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

I live in Georgia and for the first time in a long time for my area, the severe weather threat is real.. and getting very scary.  We are east/northeast of Atlanta and the storm is moving in and spawning tornados.  My husband just left the house with the baby to drive 35 miles to get our other daughter from school early and go back home.  Please say a prayer that they make it back home before the weather hits us.  I don't need my entire family in the car during this mess :(

Not sure why I need to clarify this - I'm stuck at work today and cannot get my dd.  I get off at 5 and the worst will be hitting us then.  It's hitting the western side of the city now and will be here within the hour.  School will be closed before the storm completely passes us.  My husband is off work today and has the baby.  He is trying to get her before the storm hits and get home safe with the girls.  I will be driving through the mess myself on my way home.

Storms bring threat of tornadoes, flooding for Georgia

ATLANTA -

A powerful cold front moving in from the west is bringing the threat of tornadoes, straight line winds, heavy rain, and flooding as it makes its way through Georgia.

Officials in Bartow County say a tornado touched down in Adairsville, near city hall. Several buildings have been destroyed, and there are reports 5 people trapped in a building. There are also reports of overturned cars at a McDonald's in the town.

Also in Bartow County, authorities report an accident involving a tractor trailer truck has shut down all north and south bound lanes on Interstate 75. It is not known if the crash is weather related.

FOX 5's Doug Evans reports heavy rain is falling in Floyd County, making driving difficult. The county was under a tornado warning and authorities there reported funnel clouds and trees and power lines down as the storms moved through the county.

Bands of heavy rain followed by periods of light rain have been moving through Carroll and Haralson County, reports FOX 5's Portia Bruner.

Roadways in downtown Atlanta seem to be moving without problems. However that could change as the expected heavy rain hits the area. Drivers should exercise caution on the roads as ponding of water is possible.

The FAA is reporting that Atlanta's Harstfield-Jackson Airport is experiencing gate hold and departure delays ranging from 30 to 45 minutes. Arriving flights from several destinations are experiencing delays from 30 minutes to nearly 2 hours.

Update 11:00 a.m.: Tornado warning issued for Fannin, Gilmer, Gordon and Murray counties until 12:15 p.m.

A tornado watch is in effect for all of north Georgia and portions of central Georgia until 4 p.m. A tornado watch means weather conditions are favorable for tornadoes to form.

These delays could get longer as the severe weather continues. To check flight times and delays, click here.

According to FOX 5 Storm Team meteorologist Joanne Feldman, the storm system moving across the southern states overnight began to hit portions of northwest Georgia on Wednesday morning and will continue through the late afternoon.

Metro Atlanta should see the heaviest storms between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., Joanne said.

The main threat is going to be a strong squall line moving east, which could produce 50 to 70 mph wind gusts. There is also the chance of an isolated tornado just ahead of the squall line through mid-afternoon.

SHARE YOUR PICTURES AND VIDEOS WITH FOX 5

A High Wind Warning is in effect through 6 p.m. Wednesday for several counties in northeast Georgia. Winds speeds in those counties could be 30 to 40 mph and gusting as high as 50 mph. Many areas could see anywhere from 1 to 2 inches of rain, with some mountain areas possibly seeing up to 3 inches, said Joanne.

A Flood Warning is in effect for several counties in north and northeast Georgia through Wednesday evening.

For the latest weather alerts from the FOX 5 Storm Team, click here!

The system should move out of the state by Wednesday evening as temperatures drop for the weekend.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

BUMP!

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I'll keep you in my thoughts. 

Why didn't you keep the baby home with you though? 

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I'm just wondering-why didn't your daughter stay at school if the weather is bad? Wouldn't that be safer? And why did he take the baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM

DH and I both work full time.  I just started back to work Monday from a 12 week maternity leave.  I can't leave work right now to get her and hubby has the day off.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll keep you in my thoughts. 

Why didn't you keep the baby home with you though? 

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Good luck--there's severe weather headed here (Maryland) later this evening, getting very dark outside.  Hope you stay safe.

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Because the weather will still be bad at 6 when her school closes, so he is going to get her before it hits.

And he's off work today and home with the baby.  I'm stuck at work and will have to drive home in this mess.

Quoting spooky415:

I'm just wondering-why didn't your daughter stay at school if the weather is bad? Wouldn't that be safer? And why did he take the baby?

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Thank you, and same to you.

Quoting rebeccab1966:

Good luck--there's severe weather headed here (Maryland) later this evening, getting very dark outside.  Hope you stay safe.

LuLuThatsWho
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We had that last night in Tennessee.  It was a little scary at times, but it was uneventful for us (other than the tree down out back that did no damage).  I hope they are home soon so you don't have to worry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Stay safe. Where you at in GA? I'm in Macon and we are expecting some pretty bad weather.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)