Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am i asking too much?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 14 Replies
My Mom drives me crazy! She and my step dad cannot say two words without one being a cuss word and they often say them in front of my 4 and 2 year old who are sponges.
Dh and I work hard to give them a wholesome upbringing and my mom gets mad when I ask her to watch her language around them.
We've always had a strained relationship and I just feel like she doesn't respect our values. We have friends who have no children that are willing to not cuss in front of them, I don't understand why it's so hard for their own grandparents to do the same.

Am I asking too much?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

not at all. my mom and stepdad tend to be the same way, they dont get mad but for the life of them cannot stop cursing in front of ds (5). Luckily he knows what bad words are, doesnt say them and yells at people when they do but that doesnt mean its appropriate for him to be hearing these words all the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No not at all. I do the same thing with friends/family. I haven't had one person who has went against my wishes. If your parents cannot do that then maybe tell them until they can they will see less of them. 

kaybear123
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I don't think you're asking to much at all! They don't need to hear and end up picking up on that kind of language.
PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I don't think you are but as someone who has a mouth like a dirty trucker I must say sometimes I don't even realize I've said a curse word.

misskriss10
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I don't think you're asking much at all. I don't get why it's so hard for people to not cuss, especially in front of children. 

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I don't know. I'm a swear-er, so is dh. the kids know their swears but only say them at home. I'd personally rather have them know swears and not be those kids that giggle over every little word as they get older

iluvsn85
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
No not at all!
surromama
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
No your not. There are some places you can get arrested for cursing in front of children. I know its not the same because its in a home, but they should show some respect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajc1106
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Thanks ladies. It just bugs me because I feel like she doesn't take me seriously. I wasn't sure if I was just being emotional lol
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM

No. I cuss around my kids, but they are teenagers. When they were little I didn't. My niece and nephew are young and I don't cuss around them. Sometimes I slip, but usually that's a word I don't consider a cuss word but my sister does. It's a respect (for the parent) thing. If they don't want to respect your wishes, don't go around them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured