Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The delicate balance of a single working mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

Now first off...let me say...I don't think I am any better or worse than any other type of mom out there.  I am no June Cleaver.  I work hard.  Sometimes I feel like it is all a juggling act and all those balls could come crashing down at any moment.  My schedule is crazy.  But just because I work...I don't want to shortchange my kiddo.  She is a dancer through and through and to deprive her of dance would surely equal some sort of torture in her book.

So our days are crazy.  I wake up before the chickens and go for a run in the morning.  Then I come home and take a shower and wake up my 10 year old girl at 6 AM.  I make sure she gets ready while I finish getting ready.  Then we grab her backpack, lunch, my lunch, and we are out the door.  I drop her off at a neighbors house so she can catch the bus and I leave for work.  I am at work by 0640.

My day at work is crazy.  I am in the Air Force and I work hard.  I deal with crazy situations and sometimes it seems like I have 30 kids here at work.  I leave work between 4 PM (1600) and 5 PM (1700) and pick up my kiddo from the Youth Center on base.  We rush home on Mondays and Thursday and I warm up leftovers whils she gets dressed for dance...then we race out the door for 2.5 hours of dance.  Tuesdays we get to take it a little easier but there is still homework and projects and house cleaning and quality time and all that stuff.  Wednesday we don't even go home before dance.  Friday's are usually tame.  The weekends are crazy.

I have to have everything in my schedule.  If it isn't there it doesn't happen.  This includes dance, playdates, Mom time, bills, grocery shopping and all of that.

I wouldn't change a thing.  Our lives are busy and chaotic but we love it.  My daughter is an awesome kid.  She is smart, beautiful, and mega talented. 

I think most moms with few exceptions work hard to do their best for their family.  I don't see why we need to bash anyone for the choice they make. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Yup, former single army mom of two.
It blows.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I don't know that it blows...at least not when I am home and not deployed.  But it is different.  It is a life I chose and I don't expect people to feel sorry for me.  But I also don't think a SAHM, WAHM, or civilian working mom is any better or worse than me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup, former single army mom of two.
It blows.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I have to applaud all moms-but especially single ones who are killing themselves everyday to keep their families together! Good Job!

Miss.Mommie.
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I am a single mama of 2 babies, 4 yrs & 17 months. I work 40+ hours a week at a nursing home as a CNA. I am a full-time college student, usually both campus and online but online only for this semester. I also do promotional modeling for extra money when I have time. It is VERY hard and one slip-up or lazy day or sick day would completely tear apart my life. Sometimes it sucks having no one to depend on but mostly it is very rewarding and I go to bed every night (for only 2 to 4 hours!) Snuggled with my babies and proud of myself for the life we have built. Short term suffering for long term success, right?! Soon, college will be over and I will have my degree, the kids will be older and not need me as much, and I will probably be bored and complaining. :) I cherish these times and feel blessed! Kudos to you, OP, and every other mama. WAHM, SAHM, WOHM, single, married, who cares?! We all do our fair share and then some (Hopefully)!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured