Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you're "playing house"

Posted by   + Show Post
99% of the time your relationship won't be taken seriously by anyone unless they are also playing house

(As in unmarried couples living together with their children)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Replies (251-260):
Lizardannie1966
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Why should anyone care?

If a couple wishes to "play house," why on earth should they be concerned with alleged "irrefutable" statistics or what others think?

Quoting April620:

99% of the time your relationship won't be taken seriously by anyone unless they are also playing house

(As in unmarried couples living together with their children)

seegrace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Doesnt really matter to me who takes us seriously.  I never really wanted to be married -- I wasnt that little girl wearing a pretend wedding dress and dreaming of the perfect wedding.  I met the love of my life and thought I would do the whole wedding thing just to please my parents.  But then my father died a year after we met and it seemed pointless.  I don't think we are any less or more awesome than any married couple.  If it's important to someone to have a legal marriage, that's cool.  Love is love, with our without a marriage certificate. 

We are coming up on 13 years together.  We are committed to each other and have a much stronger bond and more loving relationship than MANY MANY married couples I know.  We have committed ourselves to each other to our family, friends and God. 

A piece of paper stating the legality of it, doesn't matter AT ALL to us.  That's apparently your hangup - not mine.

We matter, our love matters, our happiness matters and our bond and committment matters.  Much better than a piece of paper, if you ask me.  I would wish the same for everyone - married or not. 

2ndtimemom605
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I agree. Its unfair,but that the way the world works.

Our cycle of friends consists of 5 married couples,4 couples have been married at least 3 years,the last couple to marry,did it late last year,and you know what?they WERE taken less seriously,although they have been together longer than some married couples(us included).We knew how solid and loving they are,but we still took them less seriously.Like I said,unfair,but...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Its not 1955 anymore. Its pretty common so i dont think anyone really cares.
ManicAttack
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM
That's because people can't put their own beliefs aside and stop being assholes.

The only time I take a committed couple as being less serious is if they're only together for money, or some other dumb ass reason. To me, people judging other relationships are insecure and immature. Otherwise you wouldn't think twice about the "seriousness" of another couple.

Quoting 2ndtimemom605:

I agree. Its unfair,but that the way the world works.

Our cycle of friends consists of 5 married couples,4 couples have been married at least 3 years,the last couple to marry,did it late last year,and you know what?they WERE taken less seriously,although they have been together longer than some married couples(us included).We knew how solid and loving they are,but we still took them less seriously.Like I said,unfair,but...

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

lol

Shabbydoll78
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Yeah, But that's okay with me. If other folks don't take my relationship seriously, because I do. My kids do. And Bret does. We're the only ones that need to take our commitment seriously. At 35 the fucks I give about how others perceive my relationship, are minimal. 

aiyess
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM
That is not true. I have friends that live together and are not married and I respect and take their relationships seriously and I am not "playing house".
themissheather
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Our families, friends, and coworkers all take our relationship seriously. He fills the role of my husband, so that is how I view him and vice versa.

Maybe, 99% of the time people don't take fake statistics seriously.
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Quoting audreesmama:

I don't care either way. I'm married and don't disrespect those that aren't. An unmarried, committed relationship is just as valid as mine.

No disrespect, but unmarried couples haven't taken the final step in their relationship.  Until that happens, they're boyfriend and girlfriend.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the same thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)