Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If God hates no one, why do *some* Christians?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a Christian myself and I just don't understand...

If a person is Gay, A different race and/or religion, an unwed mother...What does that matter to (general) you? Isn't God the only one who is supposed to judge?

ETA:

Furthermore, if Christians believe that God created everyone and everything did "we" ever stop to think that maybe he created the differences in all of us to teach us more understanding and acceptance?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
T-HoneyLuv
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Lol! * hangs head in shame * I burned them.... :(

Quoting kaiser10123:

Preach! You tell it! :) I'm still waiting for my milk and cookies

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Please do not put me in the same category as the extremist, hateful, ignorant folks who do the work of the devil by hiding behind the bible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Because people are dumb as hell and many people are Christian.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sithmama
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this

The word judge is taken out of context by most people, especially by non-Christians who read the Bible or think they know what it means. It means to condemn. That is why Jesus told the Pharisees that the one without sin should cast the first stone. He meant that He was without sin and He did not condemn the woman. But He also didn't just send her away. He told her to quit sinning. 
That doesn't give us a free license to treat people like dirt. Jesus gave us two commands- love God and love others. You can tell someone you think they are sinning in a loving way. If you can't, you should keep your mouth shut. I'm looking at you, Westboro Baptist crazies.
That also doesn't meant they have to agree with you or just stop what they're doing on the spot. You did your part, either the Holy Spirit will convict them or it won't. That's when you get on your knees in prayer and take the problem to the only one who can solve it. God may change their heart but He also may change yours.
It also doesn't mean that every person who makes different decisions in their life is sinning just because you wouldn't do something the way they do it. Biblical context is crucial. Otherwise, you're just being judgmental for fun and Jesus definitely isn't a fan of that.  

macbudsmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM

My response to Luke would be the same as that to Matthew.

James is speaking of slander, which is lies and falsehood, which is different than a true sin.

Romans is saying don't point out another's sin when you are doing the same thing.  aka  Don't be a hypocrite.  For example, if I was cheating on my husband and yet judging my neighbor for doing the same, then I would be in the wrong (in more ways than 1 lol).

Quoting Anonymous:

And what about

Luke 6:37

James 4:11-12

Romans 2:1-3

Quoting macbudsmom:

You miss understand the verse.  We are called to recognize sinful actions and to point them out, appropriately of course, when they occur in order to help the sinner.  It is wrong when you simply judge them by their actions and do nothing to help them.

Quoting HouseKatof2:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Matthew 18, Galatians 6 are just a couple places in the Bible where we are told to point out other's sins in the hopes of bringing them back to God.

Don't forget, Matthew 7:1-5. 

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I never once said we should join in. My point is, how are you supposed to witness to them if you are never around them. Jesus didn't condemn them, he gained their trust and then taught them.

Op's point was that so many Christians condemn those people are but atre never willing to talk to them- how is that witnessing and showing the Love if Christ..

Quoting macbudsmom:

Yes, Jesus hung out with them, but he also taught them.  We do no one justice when we allow sinful things to go on in our midst.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Yes, but we are human and to be human is to judge/hate/and fear difference's. Not saying that it is right, just that it's a fact of being human.

I have never understood it though. Jesus himself ate and kept company with the prostitutes, the gamblers, the alcoholics, the thieves, etc. and yet 'we' feel as though we can not talk or be associated with them because they will taint our own faith. I believe that those are the people we need to reach out to the most, not condemn but help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

No, God isn't the only one that is supposed to judge. Plus saying something is a sin or wrong, isn't a judgement if someone believes the Bible says so. Then why don't people fuss about saying murder is wrong and judgmental? If you call a thief a thief, nobody says you're judging. Furthermore, saying something is wrong or a sin, isn't the same as saying God hates them. I sin every day and God doesn't hate me. God doesn't hate gays or anyone.

macbudsmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yes Christians acting that way would be wrong.  And, its important for other Christians to point out the error of their ways as well in the hopes of bringing them back to the truth.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

I never once said we should join in. My point is, how are you supposed to witness to them if you are never around them. Jesus didn't condemn them, he gained their trust and then taught them.

Op's point was that so many Christians condemn those people are but atre never willing to talk to them- how is that witnessing and showing the Love if Christ..

Quoting macbudsmom:

Yes, Jesus hung out with them, but he also taught them.  We do no one justice when we allow sinful things to go on in our midst.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Yes, but we are human and to be human is to judge/hate/and fear difference's. Not saying that it is right, just that it's a fact of being human.

I have never understood it though. Jesus himself ate and kept company with the prostitutes, the gamblers, the alcoholics, the thieves, etc. and yet 'we' feel as though we can not talk or be associated with them because they will taint our own faith. I believe that those are the people we need to reach out to the most, not condemn but help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I do agree that God puts challenges in our lives to teach us and help us grow into the person He wants us to be.

I do not hate ANYONE, even people that have done bad things to me personally.

However, I do not have to hate in order to disagree with their ways of life. As a Christian, I don't buy into the relative morality and live and let live attitude. There is a standard of RIGHT and WRONG. It is in the Bible. No, I don't think everyone will buy into it, but the basis of our morality in this country (US) used to be more in line with the Bible.

The downfall of morals DOES affect my life. My kids  can't live in a morally stable environment because we have to live in this screwed-up world. It has gotten worse, not better.

Not only that, but atheists are attacking Christians like never before. Obviously, they don't want us to live and let live, either.

Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Hate isn't a Christian thing, it's a human thing.  And it's wrong, regardless of who is doing it.  The problem a lot of us run into is that when we say we don't agree with something, like for example, pre-marital sex - those who do that then start spouting off how we hate them.  Well, hate never entered into it.  Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I hate you.  That other person doesn't agree with me - it's no skin off my nose and I don't think they hate me.  But as soon as someone knows you are a Christian and then it becomes known that you don't agree with something - it's all, "Oh, they *hate* us!"  Please.  I don't have nearly that much energy and even if I did, I would put it towards something more constructive than that!

Also, the Bible does say that we can make a "righteous judgement."  What that means is if we see something going on that is sinful, we can recognize it as sin and choose to make a better choice.  It doesn't mean we can get all high and mighty and think we're better than other.  But to label something as sin that the Bible calls a sin - yes, we can make that "righteous judgement."  But it has nothing to do with hate.  It has to do with making good choices.

kaiser10123
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Say what!?!? I was waiting on those cookies :( I guess I'll take them Cajun style ;)

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Lol! * hangs head in shame * I burned them.... :(

Quoting kaiser10123:

Preach! You tell it! :) I'm still waiting for my milk and cookies

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Please do not put me in the same category as the extremist, hateful, ignorant folks who do the work of the devil by hiding behind the bible.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured