Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question, about W2 being sent to last known address for the employee

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

I'm not going to say if I'm the employee - or the business owner - or manager. Because I want real answers/advice based off not knowing which part I play in this....

Here is the issue:

The employee quit her job In early 2012. Didn't inform the place she was working for that she was moving out of state ( she was living with her boyfriend  & his mom while employeed thru that job).

The W2 was mailed out, and the employee called today asking the business/manage to mail the W2 to this new address in another state, in which she has been living since very soon after quiting her job. Sure, she could have the boyfriends mom send the W2 to her, at her new addres - she still lives with the boyfriend in the new state.

But! She wants the business/manager to mail the W2 to her new address ( if it's gets returned).

Soooo, does the business/manager have the responsibility of having to send it to the new address, if it does get returned, or is the responsibility off of the business/manager because they already mailed it out and the employee never gave a new address?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaileysMommy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

If it gets sent back to the manager, then they should send it to the employees new address. 

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course they should. Why wouldn't they? Do they legally have to? I'm not sure. But I don't understand why they wouldn't.

Quoting MaileysMommy:

If it gets sent back to the manager, then they should send it to the employees new address. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM
IDK, I'd be a decent person & send it to the new address. Shrugs...no big deal.

Ex employee should have called to inform the business sooner though
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

If she put in a change of address, when she first moved, it might be ok. Depends on how long she's been gone, because  I think a change of address is only good for 6 months, now.  

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

This

Quoting MaileysMommy:

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I work for payroll and HR and right now W-2s consume most of my day. It would be the company's job to send it out to the new address. It might take a while seeing as though the w-2 is getting sent back to the sender and then sent again to the new address. The government gives us a time frame in which it is acceptable to re send w-2s after receiving a request for them. We must document it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Employee was irresponsible but still entitled to her W-2 and the employer should send it on if it comes back to them or she reports it never being received.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM

An employer can't refuse to provide an employee with a W-2.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

If the employee never recieves her W-2 she can file a complaint with the IRS about the business and then the business has to deal with the IRS.

A company can be fined for not getting a W-2 to an employee in a timely manner, especially if she can prove that she called to request it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
The employee should have called before today but they won't forward w2's maybe she didn't know that. The business should remail it though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)