Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Healthy recipes ... with SIMPLE ingredients....?

Posted by   + Show Post

Seems like every time I search online for new recipes, all I come up with is a bunch of fancy crap with a ton of crazy ingredients. I just want SIMPLE recipes that call for ingredients that the typical person has in their cabinets. I am not Rachel Ray. I just want to cook NORMAL things. lol

Any ideas?

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
tiffs2009
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I use the Betty Crocker cookbook app. I tell it what I have and what meal I want to make and bam I've got ideas!
I also substitute ingredients. Like one called for jarred Alfredo sauce, which I don't buy, so I used cream of mushroom soup. It tasted great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You think Rachel ray cooks fancy food?  WTF is wrong with you?

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Split pea soup, roast chicken, squash soup, fish with mango salsa, pork tenderloin sweet potatoes.
heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I recently discovered a recipe that my DH BEGS me to cook. He's a picky eater, so that says something, lol.

Tortilla soup

(I don't measure anything, use more or less to suit your tastes)

Chicken broth (I use the kind in a carton, the kind in a can has a funky taste, IMO)

Can of Rotel

Can of fire roasted tomatoes

Chopped onion

Chopped garlic

Boneless/skinless chicken

Boil these ingredients for an hour or two, until the chicken starts to fall apart.

Add a can of drained/rinsed black beans

garnish with:

chopped cilantro

lime wedge

avocado

tortilla chips (Juanitas are my favorite) or fried tortilla strips.

EmmaZate
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Chicken and rice... Seriously easy. White breast meat chicken, curb into bite size pieces, toss in skillet. Season any way you prefer. Cook in water. Add rice, cook until finished. We use brown rice because its healthier. But it's a lean meal and it keeps you full.
Jessy76
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I have a fairly simple chicken chili recipe but it makes a LOT so you may want to make it and freeze some.

2 cans black beans, 2 cans red beans, 1 can tomato sauce, 2 cans tomatos & Green Chillis(hot or mild depends on what you like I usually do 1 of each to get a medium spice mix) and 3 to 4 medium size boneless skinless chicken breast. Placed it all together in a slow cooker and let it cook for at least 7 hours the longer the better. Shred the chicken after about 5 hours and then mix it all together. You can add your own spices to season as you like. High fiber, low fat & tons of flavor. I take this to parties and it's a WINNER every time.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

It really depends on what is "normal" for your pantry and what your version of "healthy" is.  For example most people have wheat this and wheat that and wheat isn't healthy!

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I made turkey chili last night

Chicken broth (i had made broth from some chicken and had froze it)
Puréed:
-Tomatoes
-Carrots
-Squash
-Zucchini--I puréed these all together, in my blender. Use whichever combination of vegetables youd like, this is just what i had on hand. You could even throw the garlic in if you'd like.
Ground turkey breast
Whatever type of beans you like in your chili.
Garlic
Onions
Salt, pepper, spices

1. Sauté onions til soft, and then add garlic for one minute
2. Add ground turkey breast and brown
3. Add chicken broth
4. Add your purée mix to the broth. Then add whatever seasonings you'd like: salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder ......
5. Stir it all together, let it come to a boil. Let it boil for a few and then turn down to low for at least a half hour.

It is great served over brown rice or quinoa.
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Why isn't it?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

It really depends on what is "normal" for your pantry and what your version of "healthy" is.  For example most people have wheat this and wheat that and wheat isn't healthy!

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
http://healthyreferral.com/2010/06/why-wheat-is-unhealthy-for-you-and-your-child-by-dr-phil-maffetone/
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/oct2011_Wheat-The-Unhealthy-Whole-Grain_01.htm
Basically your body turns it into sugar and 2 pieces of bread can raise your blood sugar more than a candy bar!

Quoting Mom2five87:

Why isn't it?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN